GM oil or Valvoline full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming they were the exact same price per quart, which would you guys choose for a GM vehicle. The AC Delco 5w 30 full synthetic, or the new Valvoline, sodium free, full synthetic 5w 30.

I bought AC Delco full synthetic oil for about $4 per quart a few months back with free shipping by ordering a lot. I figure AC Delco is top quality stuff... Meets Dexos and API SN.

Valvoline should be fine, too.

I think ACDelco is equal to Mobil Super Synthetic, right? In that case, Valvoline is probably better.

To be up front I like both Valvoline and Mobil Super Synthetic.

How can Valvoline be better than MSS when they both meet Dexos gen 2?? I am not trying to give you a hard time here. Definitely not my intention. I just don't see where there is no real difference in specs either one of them meet or exceed. I like both of them and actually have both in my oil supply. But I don't think Valvoline Advanced full synthetic is better than Mobil Super Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
How can Valvoline be better than MSS when they both meet Dexos gen 2?? I am not trying to give you a hard time here. Definitely not my intention. I just don't see where there is no real difference in specs either one of them meet or exceed.

I'll tell you how..... Marketing for the win!

Somewhere there is a VP of Marketing reading the OP's post and quietly pumping his clenched fist while wispering 'YES!!!!' to himself.

Last edited:
I would say the Valvoline because I can actually find some information about it from the maker...just tried to search for info on the AC Delco oil and it was a bust. It might be out there, but it sure wasn't right at my fingertips.
Valvoline even gives us NOACK loss for their 5W30 AFS, that's pretty unusual in itself.

Delco oil is very likely made to their own specs, and not relabeled something else on the shelf. For the same price probably Delco.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Valvoline even gives us NOACK loss for their 5W30 AFS, that's pretty unusual in itself.

And we know that this is unusual because of the inherent variability in reported results between test setups when testing the same oil to the ASTM D5800 standard.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

And we know that this is unusual because of the inherent variability in reported results between test setups when testing the same oil to the ASTM D5800 standard.

So Pennzoil claims.
Maybe Pennzoil doesn't see a marketing advantage and/or has something to hide?
I'm sure every single parameter they measure has noticeable variability between test setups and even for a given setup.
I have noticed that the PQIA will retest NOACK when they get a reading that surprises them (i.e. PYB 10W30) and the first and second results have always ended up being fairly close, although I would guess that is with a single setup.
If the loss that is published is +/-1%, there is still value in the information. If it's +/-5%, it's probably useless for standards to require 10-15% NOACK loss results in the first place...which tells me it is not likely to be anywhere near that loose.

I'd go for the prettier labeling and easier to pour bottles
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Delco oil is very likely made to their own specs, and not relabeled something else on the shelf. For the same price probably Delco.

Nope lowest bidder which meets Dexos.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Nope lowest bidder which meets Dexos.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back