Ethanol For Cleaning Injectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy at work said he needed to add some Ethanol to his gas to clean the injectors in his truck.

I said
31.gif
..............Am I a hero ?

Gasoline is already a solvent, don't see what alcohol would do... aside from dragging some water along for the ride.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Gasoline is already a solvent, don't see what alcohol would do... aside from dragging some water along for the ride.

Legit question. gasoline is a solvent. Why would injectors need cleaning if it works already? And all the gas stations around here already have ethanol in them..

There are substances that oligimerize / polymerize relatively easily that add good octane value in gasoline from cracking processes in petroleum refining. Antioxidant (gum inhibitor) is added during blending at a base level dosage. Oxygen catalyzes the reaction, and increasing temperature accelerates the reaction (see Arrhenius Equation for general principles).

When you shut your engine off, heat soakback can cause polymer fouling of the wetted injector tips, and can be worse if the injector is leaking slightly.

Ethanol, water saturated or anhydrous or any range between, is a poor (polar) solvent for this (relatively non-polar) polymer gum. In general, like dissolves like in the chemistry world, the definition of "like" can be variable.

Polar ethanol and polar water are fully miscible as an example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hammehead
As with acetone, ethanol dissolves varnish, that gasoline leave behing over time.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Ethanol, water saturated or anhydrous or any range between, is a poor (polar) solvent for this (relatively non-polar) polymer gum.

Wrong, Totally on the contrary. Polar solvent attracts and attack varnish. Don´t confuse Polymerized with polarized. Even esters (polar oils) are considered varnish remover.

Last edited:
Wrong, Totally on the contrary. Polar solvent attracts and attack varnish. Don´t confuse Polymerized with polarized. Even esters (polar oils) are considered varnish remover.

I'm not confusing anything Hammehead. Show me where EtOH dissolves varnish, especially as a 10% concentration in gasoline.

Show me the polar nature of the polymer under discussion Hammehead. Diagram it out.

An aromatic solvent like high purity benzene will work well for polymer formed by gasoline gums, but is more hazardous to work with and dispose of.

A non-polar solvent like carbon tetrachloride will also be a much more effective solvent for such material, but again will be much more hazardous to work with and dispose of. It was the dry cleaners' solvent of choice for many years before tighter regulations came into being.

So no, the statement that polar solvents are poor solvents for gasoline gum materials is nowhere near wrong, and I do believe you are the one who remains confused.

Did you know the varnish can be removed (captured) by just having electricity passing throught an oil filter? That varnish goes under all layers of deposits above the metal? What else you need more?

Yes, the requested diagram and pay attention to gasoline gums as the topic, not motor oil varnish, although aromatics such as leftovers in Group I base stocks are absolutely well known to be a good solvent for motor oil varnish.

E85 and E100 vehicles don´t even have problems with such non polar polymers anyway.

So... that´s a diversion from the topic.

Last edited:
Well that shows who's really confused - where do you get the OP's post was involving E85 or E100?

E85 can be as much as 55% gasoline during summer volatility control season, I'd like to see a link to honest data showing a complete lack of such deposits in E85 engines.

There is nothing to diagram showing polarity with lack of a real dipole moment.

Last edited:
Demonstrating a high likelihood that you are in fact just a reconstituted troll as I suspected from the beginning. Pathetic.

Did you know the varnish can be removed (captured) by just having electricity passing throught an oil filter? That varnish goes under all layers of deposits above the metal? What else you need more?

You need diagrams, go get diagrams! And show us here.
smirk.gif

E85 and E100 vehicles don´t even have problems with such non polar polymers anyway.

So... that´s a diversion from the topic.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Well that shows who's really confused - where do you get the OP's post was involving E85 or E100?

Exactly, the OP asked about adding EtOH to his gas. What kind of idiot would ask about adding it to E85 or E100?

And Hammehead makes the diversion accusation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back