Finally got Linux Mint Downloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Thanks for the clarification. My Hotmail, which I use for important, recurring, contact is working fine now. My Gmail account, that I use for anything else, is also working so I'm good. Yahoo mail I don't really care about and is a non-issue for me.

That's good. As long as you're happy with it and it's working the way you want it to work, all is good!

Just finished installing Linux Mint on my parents laptop. They are 76 & 75 years old, and I wanted a version that would be easy for them to navigate. They have an older Dell laptop with Windows Vista on it. Back when it was new, it had all the bells and whistles. Its a nice laptop for them, and I didn't want to see them go out and spend several hundred dollars for a basic laptop with less features.

The install took me a couple of hours. I did a full wipe and install - I wanted windows gone! Now she runs like a top. Just got back from dropping it off and my Dad was stoked - he was surprised how much faster it runs now. Free software + happy parents = win. I plan on going to the donation page and sending some funds their way. Very happy how things turned out.

Just be wary if a printer becomes involved.

Linux and printer company support is a mixed bag and an ordeal to configure if printer not directly supported.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Linux and printer company support is a mixed bag and an ordeal to configure if printer not directly supported.

This is one reason I've beeen buying Brother printers and multifunction devices. I've had good luck with them and Linux Distros. Heck even the scanners work for me.

Originally Posted By: Rick505
Originally Posted By: madRiver

This is one reason I've beeen buying Brother printers and multifunction devices. I've had good luck with them and Linux Distros. Heck even the scanners work for me.

I've had similar luck using HPLIP to get HP printers to work. In fact the setup of an HP printer has been very easy in at least ten installations of LM that I've done.

My much repeated observation is linux gets a bad rap since peoples bad experiences usually come from attempts to revitalize old marginal Windows machines (think Winmodems)

With printers, it is not difficult. There are many lists of devices that are supported 100%; obtain one and there won't be issues; it is primarily the fault of the vendor NOT any OSS developers, since the mfg has not produced any documentation to allow a driver to be written

One should not want to drive a toyota when the ford wears out and then complain your motorcraft filters don't fit on the camry.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with printers, too. I just bought somewhat carefully, and certainly didn't spend much. My HP 1505 is several years old and cost around $100, so no complaints.

As for old computers, yes, one likely will have problems with Winmodems, but aside from that, marginal hardware can still be run on an older version of Ubuntu or something. In any case, marginal hardware is one thing, but those trying to resurrect something significantly dated likely has a few skills to get something going.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
There is a great database of which printers work with Linux: http://www.openprinting.org/printers

It says my Canon printer is a paperweight.
grin.gif

Now I don't feel bad it took 6 months before I found some instructions online to install the driver.

This website gave the info I needed;

Printer Driver Canon UFR-II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back