Motomaster SE3 vs. Blacklion Cilerro BH15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a cheap yet reliable set of all-seasons installed that will get me (home) across Canada a few times in the next couple of years.

My 2010 Passat currently has 65,000kms and OEM Good Years on it. I'm thinking it's a bad idea to drive another 5000km on those tires back home next week as they're pretty toast. Unfortunately theis leaves me with limited options as there isn't a lot of selection in stock here. The two mentioned are my cheapest options here.

I plan on buying 2 sets of tires once I am home from university for good but for now I need these all-seasons to do me a solid 40,000kms (25k highway kms and 15k city) in the next few years while I'm still at uni.

Thoughts on these two? SE3 are made by Cooper in the USA. They have decent reviews but some complain about early wear and loud noise (who doesn't). But seems they've progressed a lot since the original SE's which were garbage.

The BH15 are chinese made but I heard they have some great technology in them and sound reliable to most who use them minus the same negatives as mentioned for the SE3.

I appreciate your advice!

welcome2.gif

Between the two, get the Motomaster. Cooper tires are popular on here, and it's nice to have an affordable US-made tire option.

I would chose the motomasters any day. I've run them on various cars over the years with no issues. The SE3 look nice. I'm actually looking at getting a set of the total terrain at3 for my pathfinder.

Get the extended warranty that is around $5 per tire, I always do, and they replace non repairable tires for free under this warranty. Saved my bacon when I shredded a duratrac on the trail.

Thanks. The warranty sounds sweet for $20. Is it lifetime tire warranty?

What are your thoughts on paying $690 installed (excluding tax) for a set of Toyo Extensa A/S? Is this overkill? I think that they only come in 215/60R16 though and not 215/55R16 which is my car specs. But they tried to sell me them for my Passat so I'm not sure what's up.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Winter is over now. Pick your sale you have all summer to find the deal you want.

I know but I left this tire shopping to the last minute which limits my options.

Maybe you could answer this. I currently have 5W40 in my Passat and I want to top it up before I drive home, would it be OK to add 5W30 oil to it? Or should I buy 5W40 to be safe?

Yup, Motomaster SE3's
Check out my review below.
Despite only having the car for about 6 months with the new tires, it was the best option for the price I paid.
if I had a car that ran that size today, you better believe I'd run them again!

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4468828/Searchpage/1/Main/273513/Words/motomaster/Search/true/Re:_Review:_Motomaster_SE3_All#Post4468828

Cheers I read this review when I was googling them! Makes me feel a lot better about the purchase as I figure I won't have a problem getting 50,000kms out of them.

Originally Posted By: deepern
Thanks. The warranty sounds sweet for $20. Is it lifetime tire warranty?
What are your thoughts on paying $690 installed (excluding tax) for a set of Toyo Extensa A/S? Is this overkill? I think that they only come in 215/60R16 though and not 215/55R16 which is my car specs. But they tried to sell me them for my Passat so I'm not sure what's up.

Don't forget that your LIFE is running on those tires, I'd go with Toyo they are very good tires.

Yeah, and given the current 20% off sale at CT, you really can't beat 'em!

Also, remember to check the date code on the tires when you get them. I made sure all 4 were
dated from 2017. I had to drive around to a few different CT's to get all the tires I wanted
(before the sale was over), but it was worth it. I had 4 gift certificates for $100 each, so
after taxes and disposal fees, I think I paid around $120 including installing, balancing and taxes.

I took the tires to an outside shop I trust, as I don't trust CT for anything but tires and fluids on sale.

Enjoy your new tires, and please make sure to let us (me) know how you like 'em!
I'm certain you'll enjoy the quiet, solid performance
thumbsup2.gif

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back