Automakers push Congress for higher fuel standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
European nations like Germany have already mandated 95 RON gas. Coupled with high gas taxes and engine displacement fees, their goal is to make gas engines more efficient.

I guess it has nothing to do with how much money they can rake in with taxes and "fees".
lol.gif

Yeah … I had to read that twice … slower the second time
wink.gif

Same happens during hurricanes down south …

I’m skeptical … but we have 1 diesel and 3 gasoline’s …
so some better JV work could have gone on B4 the gov was called on …

We can gain 3% in mileage just by removing ethanol from our gas according to the EPA-

Ethanol contains about one-third less energy than gasoline. So, vehicles will typically go 3% to 4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 and 4% to 5% fewer on E15 than on 100% gasoline.

How much less expensive would our gasoline be if the 16 different "blends" required were eliminated? (not counting Summer and winter blends)
Imagine every refinery making the same gas, when one area of the country shuts down refineries, any other area could ship gas in.

https://www.afpm.org/uploadedFiles/Content/Our_Members/What_We_Make/Fuels/US-Gasoline-Map(1).pdf

Last edited:
Automakers are pushing this so they can more easily meet CAFE. Unfortunately, this will be at the expense of more costly gasoline foisted on the public.

In other words, the CAFE standards that were introduced to the public to help with fuel economy has introduced this aberration which would make the driving public pay more for fuel, making travel cost more per mile.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I told BITOG members and started a thread that GM wants a higher standard octane.
It's coming like it or not. And it is all because of Cheapo Joe.

So now GM needs a special gas to go with special oil ?
Will there be a special tax that GM will pocket also?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Automakers are pushing this so they can more easily meet CAFE. Unfortunately, this will be at the expense of more costly gasoline foisted on the public.

In other words, the CAFE standards that were introduced to the public to help with fuel economy has introduced this aberration which would make the driving public pay more for fuel, making travel cost more per mile.
Didn't the EPA stop with the newer CAFE standards? But the car manufacturers then complained?

Originally Posted By: HeritageHighRoof
I was "forced" to put 91 in my Excursion last week (station was out of regular).

I know you said you were "forced" to, which I get. Why not just add the mid-tier, since it was the same price as regular? Seems like you should have been "forced" to use a slightly higher AKI fuel, but decided to go even further and purchase Premium...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back