LCD TV Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbor gave me a 2015 Samsung 48" LCD panel with LED backlights, that has seen little use. First time to investigate one. It's stuck in a repeated screen flash loop where the PS attempts to start, detects a fault, shuts down, tries again, detects the same fault, shuts down...ad infinitum.

The MB & T-CON boards are OK. There may be a fault in the LED drivers and/or a few LED's themselves. I'll have to do a current draw check to see what's going on. I suspect there's a short on the LED strips somewhere.

If you have a set with a LED backlight, you can extend it's life by turning down the backlight level (if possible) or setting it where it's not at 100% BRIGHT all the time. LEDs need to be driven within limits to ensure long life. I suspect many are being over-driven either through design or by their users. Once the LED cktry is Tango Uniform (black screen) many junk the set due to the high cost of repair. Some (many?) are only a few years old like this one. That must BITE! Neighbor paid $400 + $33 in tax. Went black a few months ago. So they bought another one. May even be worth paying for an extended warranty on these, depending on the length of the OEM coverage.

Lastly, I'm interesting in hearing your reliability experience with your LED-backlight sets. How long they lasted. How long before they would no longer start, one side became dark, they flashed like mine, buzzed/arced. CCF backlight is a much different technology so let's leave that out. Same with plasma and OLED.

I'll post updates here as I dig further into this one.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
If you have a set with a LED backlight, you can extend it's life by turning down the backlight level (if possible) or setting it where it's not at 100% BRIGHT all the time.

Our LED backlit Samsung is about 9 years old now. First thing I did was dimmed its LED backlight because it's not very uniform and results in patches of "white clouds" visible in very dark scenes, especially when watching TV at night.

I've got a cheapo Dynex (not LED though) that I picked up at Best Buy at least 10 years ago. Works flawlessly still. Main TV in the living room is demo/floor Vizio unit that is at least 5 years now. Both work great. Speakers still sound good (not buzzing or anything) and zero dead pixels or uneven lighting on either of them.

My Samsung is from 2009 ($1,450 new), she lights up and looks just fine. It is our main TV that sees heavy usage in our living room. Quality and reliability wise, I have no complaints.

About 5 years ago we had a surge make it into our house which fried a portion of the PS board. My wife started shopping for a replacement TV, and I started shopping for a new board. Long story short; I found an acceptable replacement on eBay which I ordered. It shipped from China so I had to wait a couple of weeks. Board arrived, I installed it, and she has run like a champ since then. If you locate your problem and can repair it cheap, I say fix it and enjoy your low-cost TV for as long as possible.

We have a Samsung Backlit LED that is 3 years old. It stays on about 20 hrs a day. No problems at all with it. Now when I get home I will have to check the settings.

4 years on my Vizio 60", no issues. Backlight set at 100% for most viewing, 85% for dark viewing of movies. Local dimming turned on, of course.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Neighbor gave me a 2015 Samsung 48" LCD panel with LED backlights, that has seen little use. First time to investigate one. It's stuck in a repeated screen flash loop where the PS attempts to start, detects a fault, shuts down, tries again, detects the same fault, shuts down...ad infinitum.

The MB & T-CON boards are OK. There may be a fault in the LED drivers and/or a few LED's themselves. I'll have to do a current draw check to see what's going on. I suspect there's a short on the LED strips somewhere.

If you have a set with a LED backlight, you can extend it's life by turning down the backlight level (if possible) or setting it where it's not at 100% BRIGHT all the time. LEDs need to be driven within limits to ensure long life. I suspect many are being over-driven either through design or by their users. Once the LED cktry is Tango Uniform (black screen) many junk the set due to the high cost of repair. Some (many?) are only a few years old like this one. That must BITE! Neighbor paid $400 + $33 in tax. Went black a few months ago. So they bought another one. May even be worth paying for an extended warranty on these, depending on the length of the OEM coverage.

Lastly, I'm interesting in hearing your reliability experience with your LED-backlight sets. How long they lasted. How long before they would no longer start, one side became dark, they flashed like mine, buzzed/arced. CCF backlight is a much different technology so let's leave that out. Same with plasma and OLED.

I'll post updates here as I dig further into this one.

Mind asking, what's the model number number? I fixed a similar one a few months ago and had some LEDs which were burnt. Simple, but little bit tedious fix.

If you hear sound or otherwise know the TV is working but you cannot see it. I would look very closely at the back-lighting and PS components. Look for bad or broken solder joints (Dull) and areas that look like there has been any heat discoloration. I believe the LED arrays are in blocks, try to disable them one at a time and find a bad one.

A good electrically engineered back-light system will have the led arrays biased correctly to produce the amount of lighting needed with safety margins at full brightness. Theoretically they will not last any longer by running them dim. Yes if one of the LED's shorted it could cause the PS to repeatedly try to reset. I have never had to repair a modern TV cause they are so highly integrated the replacement parts for a 4 yr old TV would cost more than a completely new set. most people just chuck em when they go wonky.

I had a vizio 30" a few yrs back that was 4 at the time one of the main power supply connections to the BL was weakened from repeated heat cycles and the solder had gone to a dull appearance. I re soldered and slightly re engineered for better ventilation and it worked fine again till i gave it away.

Last edited:
Bingo:

Well that explains the buzzing, crackling and smell of heat & ozone!
Even LCD backlight sets can arc if given the opportunity!

FWIW: I used to work for Philips in the HDTV CE group. I can't to this day watch any of the LCD/LED HDTVs due to all the motion artifacts without it "bothering me". I'm sure it is just me. But that is also why I have three very large screen last generation Plasma TVs at my home. Two Samsung's and one Panasonic. All work great and never any issues. I do strongly suggest folks use name brand surge suppressors on the AC line with them regardless of brand/type.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
FWIW: I used to work for Philips in the HDTV CE group. I can't to this day watch any of the LCD/LED HDTVs due to all the motion artifacts without it "bothering me". I'm sure it is just me. But that is also why I have three very large screen last generation Plasma TVs at my home. Two Samsung's and one Panasonic. All work great and never any issues. I do strongly suggest folks use name brand surge suppressors on the AC line with them regardless of brand/type.

I feel your pain.Hard to beat a phospor display for color accuracy and fast action, be it plasma or CRT.
However, never has been a time where tv's have been so reliable. The biggest waste of money is an extended warranty.

Last edited:
Currenly have five LED Tvs and also had a Pani Plasma that we got rid of still working after 7 years or so.

Have not had a TV fail in decades. Last one to fail 2 to 3 decades ago was a Sony Rear Projection, blue driver in the circuit board went bad, 2 times, second time I threw it out. (Ironically, first and only Sony I ever bought)

Not sure if it matters, always been big on surge protectors on anything electronic on my homes.
You dont need to pay a fortune for them either.

Last edited:
I'd like to own a plasma myself. I've been on the lookout for any neighbor who decides to ditch theirs, dead or alive. I'm suspicious of what's going on behind the screen, but know something is. Most consumers could care less though. I'm amazed at just how many don't even realize their set is in stretch mode. It drives me nuts the short time I see it!

Two levels of TVSS should be used in residences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back