Back in the day, who used Slick 50 and/or Prolong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the Duralube spray product and liked it.

Every 25,000 miles I use to put a quart of Duralube or Prolong in because I felt if it didn't do any good it certainly didn't do any harm and it may have helped the engine. So what the

Last edited:
I put some Slick 50 Gear oil additive in the outdrive on an old 75 HP Evinrude outboard engine. It was so slick it killed the reverse. Anyone that knows hoe the reverse gear worked in these outdrives will understand. The reverse was all friction dependent.

Put Slick 50 in a lot of engines. Most notable was a Ford van with the 300 six banger. Needed to turn the idle down about three times in the next day!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Put Slick 50 in a lot of engines. Most notable was a Ford van with the 300 six banger. Needed to turn the idle down about three times in the next day!

A little sarcasm there
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Shannow
1986, my gap year was in a service station, and the work ute was a falcon with 250 c.i. six...that was old, really old, and used about a litre of oil per tank of fuel. Nulon "worn engine treatment" dropped that massively...to not draining the sump in 5,000km.
Yes I have used teflon.

...Blast from the past.

I knew an Aussie girl who tried to be the Eastern-European rep for Nulon...

Exactly, engines do not need that junk,millions of vehicles running strong with well over 100 to 200K and more with just plain oil. A quick google search reveals that Slick 50 was sued by the FTC for false claims. Not the best track record for slick 50 a few other similar oil additives like prolong and oil tuff were taken to task as well by the FTC.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

A little sarcasm there
lol.gif

Whimsey

Good catch, most missed it!

Tried it once and never again. This was back before I did my own oil changes, and I just handed it at a shop. Apparently I wasn't the first customer to bring it in. I think they even removed the price of a quart of oil from the invoice.

I didn't really notice anything terribly good or bad. About the only thing that seemed odd was that there was this crusty mess (looked like butter toffee) the next year caked onto around the fill hole. It was really hard and stuck to the threads and on the cap. I just sort of broke it off.

I have fond memories of waking up early and watching infomercials probably in the late 80's for oil treatments. Watching a motor run with out oil or whatever they did to it. I recall the motors were on some sort of trailer and they did the demonstrations at a public beach somewhere warm. Granted I was only like 9 years old at the time but man.. I was sold! I wish I knew what products they were so I could youtube it and find them. Good times.

I used it in my all-time favorite car, a 1976 Datsun 280z, it was slick enough to cause the idle speed to increase on the inline six and I had to adjust it back down.

I have used Slick 50 manual transmission additive several times with very good results.This was in the pre-synthetic fluids era.
My father used Slick 50 engine treatment in his early '80s Buick V6. He used 1/2 quart per oil change and then topped up with it.
He and several other couples went skiing in Vermont. It was really cold in the morning, maybe 20 degrees F below or colder.
Of the four cars in the group his was the only one that would turn over and start. He sold that car still running well with over 180,000 miles on it.
As stated above I have observed the idle speed increase also.

Not only did I use it but sold it out of the trunk of my car back in the late 80's. Frankly it worked in my two cars....quieter and slightly better mileage as I recall.

I tried it and tufoil once back when they first came out, sure you had to turn the idle down the next day or 2 but right back up again a week later. I figured that was how long it did anything.
FF 30+ years tried ceratec because it was from a reputable company and it too is sketchy. Now nothing anymore, they don't call any of this swill snake oil for nothing.

This is important.

Quote:
Unfortunately, many chlorine additive container labels do not state, “Contains chlorine.” Technically, chlorine in its pure form is a gas, so these products dodge the issue by using chlorinated hydrocarbons, paraffins, solvents, etc. If the additive container label states, “Contains no PTFE, graphite, molybdenum disulfide or solids,” the product may likely contain chlorinated additives

All is not lost for those that still have some Motokote or other chlorine laced fluid, put it in an oil can for use as a drilling lubricant, chlorine laced oils help lubricate drill bits.

Quote:
EP additives are also sometimes used (e.g. sulphur, phosphorus or chlorine). This type of fluid has
better lubricating properties than the water-miscible ones, but has less of a cooling effect. Neat oils
vary from the technically simple to some highly sophisticated formulations.

My dad was a major Slick 50 advocate back in the day!!! He always had old, worn out vehicles and swore it made them run better and longer. I do remember a time we went into the mountains of WV to pick up a motorcycle for me in his 80's Chevette, 3+ hour trip climbing nice size mountains and when he got back home he realized it had lost all of its oil but didn't skip a beat!!! Still ran well when he sold it!

I ran a bunch of Prolong because I found it on clearance for $1 at an Eckard drug store back in the day, in theory it was as cheap as cheap oil. Don’t think it did any harm, most of the vehicles that I ran it in succumbed to rust long before it would have made a difference,

I used Slick50 once back in the 90s. Can't say it did anything, the car ran fine before and after the application. Maybe it did, maybe not. I have never used another "engine treatment" since then, I can't really see a need for it. I try to buy quality vehicles and take good care of them so the motor will outlast the rest of the car anyway, even without such treatments.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
My dad was a major Slick 50 advocate back in the day!!! He always had old, worn out vehicles and swore it made them run better and longer. I do remember a time we went into the mountains of WV to pick up a motorcycle for me in his 80's Chevette, 3+ hour trip climbing nice size mountains and when he got back home he realized it had lost all of its oil but didn't skip a beat!!! Still ran well when he sold it!

I can see how this person might have worn-out vehicles.

Last edited:
I see it contains Boron Nitride. I think some shooters tumble bullets in it to cut down on friction. Boron that is, not slick 50.

I used it in two cars back in the early 2000s. It did no harm but who knows if it did any good.
Anyone used it in a modern engine?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back