GDI engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year, Mahle does a summary sheet of all automotive engines sold in US cars, and it does list which type of fuel injection system.
Rummage around on the Mahle web site, and maybe you'll find it.

Last edited:
Why do you want to know? Curiosity? Or are you trying to avoid them? There are some engine that have two injectors per cylinder like in a Nissan Versa I rented last year. Not to be confused with engines that have both direct and port injection.

Curious is all. Seems like carbon build up around the valves is common as well as fuel in the oil. Trade off for more power and better fuel mileage I guess. Doesn’t seem to lend themselves to longer OCI’s. What do ya think?

I won't push it past ~4500 miles on mine, regardless of the oil used, and despite the 'peer pressure' on here to do so, since my 1.6 EcoBoost only has a 4 quart sump.
(But then I also don't put big miles on it either, as I only have ~8K miles in 1.5 years from brand new.)

IF it had more capacity (like 6+ quarts), I might be tempted.
wink.gif

I was thinking it would be easier to note the vehicles that are not DI.

Carbon build-up was an issue early on, especially with WV family engines (got the worst rap) along with some Toyota issues... but I have not heard a lot of DI related issues since 2011 --- and most DI problems were also linked to issues with the emissions systems and how it functioned. Never had a DI issue with my Chrysler, GM or Ford DI engines (turbo and NA) and I have several in my fleet. Fords get more of the attention because there might be some ecoboost issues but of all the things to worry/watch in my vehicles, DI is far down on my list.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I won't push it past ~4500 miles on mine, regardless of the oil used, and despite the 'peer pressure' on here to do so, since my 1.6 EcoBoost only has a 4 quart sump.
(But then I also don't put big miles on it either, as I only have ~8K miles in 1.5 years from brand new.)

IF it had more capacity (like 6+ quarts), I might be tempted.
wink.gif

Yeah, I have a 6qt sump. Hyundai specs conventional for 7,500 miles intervals in my 3.8. I do 6,000 just because it is all short city trips and I flog the poor girl like rental.

For my fleet, Fords get 5,000OCI and GM/Chrysler gets 7,500. No DI issues. The Fords are shorter because of the turbos and often they have a lot more hours than miles. So I will have 400 hours by the time I hit 5K miles. Lots of idling/low-speed use. The GM/Chrysler have a lot more highway use.

I've now seen the comment on this board a few times:

"The problems with GDI intake tract deposits were only on the earlier engines with GDI" and... "GDI intake tract problems are solved now"

They ALL have EGR and CCV systems, which are the root of the problem. If an engine is DI-only, and has EGR and CCV, it WILL have problems with intake tract deposits.

Port/DI...probably prevents most problems. And you're seeing the smarter companies (Toyota, Ford, for example) go that way.

The 'tuner' aftermarket also has options for certain makes/models of an add on auxiliary port injection system which fully integrates with and 'cooperates' with the factory ECM and DI system.

I plan on eventually installing one of these on my 1.6 EcoBoost, even if I never seek a bigger turbo power upgrade.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

"The problems with GDI intake tract deposits were only on the earlier engines with GDI" and... "GDI intake tract problems are solved now"

They ALL have EGR and CCV systems, which are the root of the problem. If an engine is DI-only, and has EGR and CCV, it WILL have problems with intake tract deposits.

Port/DI...probably prevents most problems. And you're seeing the smarter companies (Toyota, Ford, for example) go that way.

I think it took a long time for this board to acknowledge that GDI is not a monolithic block of technology and 2007 VW/Audi DI applications must be the same as 2018 Asian make DI applications. Independent of the EGR/CCV system argument, you'll have people like me who can anecdotally say that they they know two people ( which I do ) with DI vehicles that have over 150K miles on them and don't have carbon or DI-specific issues. When does the inevitability start?? If someone doesn't keep a vehicle for much more than 125-150K miles, should they hand-wring over the inevitability or is it more of a non-issue until x miles?? I have a five year old DI car with no carbon or DI issues..when do I become an anomaly??

Most of the carbon-related issues I've seen related to DI has been well before 100K miles...so I would make an assumption that whether they all have EGR/CCV systems or not, you'll likely run into many where this issue will never present itself during the time they have the vehicle. I know this board likes blanket statements...but I don't think you can always make then where DI is concerned.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I know this board likes blanket statements...

Yes, it does, sadly enough, and that is NOT only pertaining to oil/automotive opinions and issues.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I think it took a long time for this board to acknowledge that GDI is not a monolithic block of technology and 2007 VW/Audi DI applications must be the same as 2018 Asian make DI applications. Independent of the EGR/CCV system argument, you'll have people like me who can anecdotally say that they they know two people ( which I do ) with DI vehicles that have over 150K miles on them and don't have carbon or DI-specific issues. When does the inevitability start?? If someone doesn't keep a vehicle for much more than 125-150K miles, should they hand-wring over the inevitability or is it more of a non-issue until x miles?? I have a five year old DI car with no carbon or DI issues..when do I become an anomaly??

Most of the carbon-related issues I've seen related to DI has been well before 100K miles...so I would make an assumption that whether they all have EGR/CCV systems or not, you'll likely run into many where this issue will never present itself during the time they have the vehicle. I know this board likes blanket statements...but I don't think you can always make then where DI is concerned.

Carbon is not going to magically stay off the valves and intake tract. There's no difference in the fundamental operation of a 2007 GDI-only engine and a 2018 GDI-only engine. Just because a code hasn't been thrown and the engine still starts, doesn't mean there's not buildup that's impeding flow and reducing horsepower.

I DO think the buildup can be minimized by using a low-NOACK oil, and a good Top Tier premium fuel.

I use PPPP 10W-30 and Top Tier gas (preferably Shell) in my WRX.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Certain driving styles, like lots of short trips in cold climates, don't lend themselves well to the DI.

Yeah, that was one reason I bought the non-turbo Forester. I wanted to see how well a turbo with direct injection handled fuel dilution in cold weather before thinking about buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back