Flip phone recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d recommend buy a flip phone that supports LTE. The older tech of 3g is not getting new coverage since they pay per antenna in rent and 3g antenna supports 1000 connections instead of LTE with 10000 per antenna.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I’d recommend buy a flip phone that supports LTE. The older tech of 3g is not getting new coverage since they pay per antenna in rent and 3g antenna supports 1000 connections instead of LTE with 10000 per antenna.

So, whats that in English?

A non-LTE phone will not get the best coverage in the future, as they build new towers with only LTE. Also at some point they will start removing non-LTE antennas from existing towers.

Originally Posted By: mk378
A non-LTE phone will not get the best coverage in the future, as they build new towers with only LTE. Also at some point they will start removing non-LTE antennas from existing towers.

Plus, we're going to be really quickly converting to 5G, so that will really take out the infrastructure. Actually I thought flip phones dated back to the 2-2+G era. Saw a flip phone about a year ago in a Walmart. Boost I think. It ran $130, surrounded by $50 smart phones. Think Nokia introduced a retro, non-flip phone a few months ago. Since I never really liked to talk on a phone, I didn't pay a lot of attention until the smart phone era began.

Make sure the phone can utilize Wifi Calling. Some of the really cheap flip phones do not support Wifi, thus you can't piggyback onto your home network.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: madRiver

So, whats that in English?

Expect worst or no reception compare to any recent smartphone and your reception to get worst.

My stubborn old mother in law just gets dropped calls no reception and poor battery life all day
Long. When she is near a tower that supports antique tech she gets decent service. Writing is on the wall as providers have no incentive or money to be made on voice/text.

Thankfully makers responded by making LTE flip phones. Anything else that you pay for is going to be in trash bin soon.

I have been happy with my Samsung phone and Verizon as my carrier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back