2018 Silverado 3500HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for a new truck for awhile. I wanted something "different". I was eyeing older Chevy trucks that had been "restored" in the 1975--1987 range. I looked at a few commercial trucks (C6500, International Low Boys, etc.) Nothing really caught my eye....nothing made me want to spend my money.

So I'm tired of looking and I'm going to buy something from a dealer most likely.

Here is a single cab 2018 Silverado 3500HD with the 6.0L, 4X4, long bed, and single rear wheel. This is their base model (W/T) but has some added features (a convenience package: power locks and windows, cruise, and a decent radio) and it has the Snow Plow Prep package (wire harnesses at the front of the truck, back in the bed, and a transfer case skid plate).

For the same money, I can buy a Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.3 (and dreadful cylinder deactivation). EVERYONE drives that truck, they are a dime a dozen. Even though 1500 Crew Cab might make "more sense", because it's so ubiquitous here, I'm turned off by them. I'm going to use this truck for driving to work (3 miles each way, I'm a chemist), running errands, projects around the house, and I have a small hobby farm that I need to haul hay, feed, and manure around in.

I want the windows tinted. The bed has already been coated at the factory.

I think going to offer $36.5K with the windows tinted. It's currently listed at $39k.

I'll probably add a bull bar and a headache bar. I think it will give the truck a nice look.

Thoughts, opinions, comments are all welcomed. I'm probably headed to the dealer this weekend to possibly purchase the truck.

Last edited:
Empty bed it's going to ride really stiff especially on bad roads.Its really built for commercial use the ride could get tiresome.I like the idea of four door pickup can be used for your commute and vacation and can carry up to five. I personally think in the long run that heavy duty pickup is overkill. Limited on personal use and empty bed your going to be miserable.

Id take that 6.0l over the 5.3 any day, all day. Plus thats just a nice lookin rig and really when chevy has always been on the softer side of the suspension anyway whats does it matter. [censored] id take that 6.0l over all the other gas offerings from the big 3. Yes ive worked on most of them.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I've been looking for a new truck for awhile. I wanted something "different". I was eyeing older Chevy trucks that had been "restored" in the 1975--1987 range. I looked at a few commercial trucks (C6500, International Low Boys, etc.) Nothing really caught my eye....nothing made me want to spend my money.

So I'm tired of looking and I'm going to buy something from a dealer most likely.

Here is a single cab 2018 Silverado 3500HD with the 6.0L, 4X4, long bed, and single rear wheel. This is their base model (W/T) but has some added features (a convenience package: power locks and windows, cruise, and a decent radio) and it has the Snow Plow Prep package (wire harnesses at the front of the truck, back in the bed, and a transfer case skid plate).

For the same money, I can buy a Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.3 (and dreadful cylinder deactivation). EVERYONE drives that truck, they are a dime a dozen. Even though 1500 Crew Cab might make "more sense", because it's so ubiquitous here, I'm turned off by them. I'm going to use this truck for driving to work (3 miles each way, I'm a chemist), running errands, projects around the house, and I have a small hobby farm that I need to haul hay, feed, and manure around in.

I want the windows tinted. The bed has already been coated at the factory.

I think going to offer $36.5K with the windows tinted. It's currently listed at $39k.

I'll probably add a bull bar and a headache bar. I think it will give the truck a nice look.

Thoughts, opinions, comments are all welcomed. I'm probably headed to the dealer this weekend to possibly purchase the truck.

I guess I wouldn't want to literally haul [censored] in "family" crew cab, either. But a gray pickup truck is pretty ubiquitous, too. If you have the money to waste thinking that you're cutting a style swath with that device, go spend it---the folks in Flint will be briefly grateful for your patronage.

I agree with the guys above-find the roughest road and RR tracks you can find & see if you can handle the bouncing. If you can take it, buy it-it'll also have a full float rear axle & HD transmission (guessing 6L80 or similar?) that should be able to handle hauling heavy if you need to, as opposed to the weak (IMO) 1/2 ton GM pickups.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Empty bed it's going to ride really stiff especially on bad roads.Its really built for commercial use the ride could get tiresome.I like the idea of four door pickup can be used for your commute and vacation and can carry up to five. I personally think in the long run that heavy duty pickup is overkill. Limited on personal use and empty bed your going to be miserable.

I know it might be a bit stiff, but I really doesn't care. I'm only 42 years old. The trucks I was considering before this one were rough riding (like a C6500 or an International). I'm willing to trade a stiffer ride for the more stout 4L90E transmission, and all the heavier duty parts, and of course, the venerable 6.0L

Looking at the pricing game, the price only goes up from what you offer.
If it were me, I'd start at 32k.
Its a snow plow package truck at end of season, and with fuel prices going up, it may sit more than a 5.3L.
Worse they can say is no .....

Last edited:
Do you really want a such HD p/u? I own a 2002 f250 with the Powerstroke the wife and daughter tow the horse trailer with and to do heavy work and A 2015 F150 for general light stuff .

As the owner of many F350's both in gas and diesel and a member of the bad
back fraternity I never had an issue with these trucks being a rough ride even at 80 psi
on the tires. I think Chevy trucks are even more isolated from the nasties than Ford.

You never buy too much truck when you buy a 350 or 3500. I do prefer crew cabs but
You are in a budget here. I thought I bought too much truck and in the end I was overloading my F350...... Good Luck.

The only thing I would say is that if you think you'd like to get an option but the truck on the lot doesn't have it, wait and find one that does. On Ford's fog lights after the sale are nearly $800 and in a package they are far cheaper. Get what you want upfront.

Definitely take it on a good road test trust me empty bed that pickup is going to ride really really stiff almost dangerous on a curve with bad roads and rain. Considering and owning are two different things.

Why not just get a small trailer for your hauling needs?

I had a Ranger for a few years as a daily driver and found out that I used it little for its intended purpose of hauling stuff to the homestead.
We pretty much live off our vegetable lots in the summertime and have a few acres.

These days if I need something large hauled I rent a truck. Driving a Truck everyday gets tiresome IMHO. I'll never get another one.
The Ranger was fun for a while and very reliable tho.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Why not just get a small trailer for your hauling needs?

No doubt, I could. I like to only drive my Honda on the highway. It suits my needs to drive it all over the country to take my boy BMX racing.

So I need another car, so I don't put all the "around town" wear and tear on my Honda. Right now, my old, rusty, and nasty 1990 K1500 truck is working just fine. But it's LONG in the tooth and needs replaced soon before she dies. I could get another cheap truck, but a $6000 truck doesn't get you much or give you many guarantees. My Honda has a hitch (for the bike rack), but like I said, I really don't want to tear this car up with daily errands.

I could probably get away with a $18k used truck for what I'm using it for (driving around down). $18k trucks have 100-150k miles on them. Ugh.

If you like it, buy it. It would look awesome with a full front end replacement, headache rack, and rear bumper. Ride shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Being a single cab, would you regret it later down the road only being able to have 3 people in it at a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back