looking for a new, or nearly new fun car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently drive an enjoyable but dilapidated AWD Jag X-Type 2.5L 5 speed manual, and a 407 RWHP Honda S2000. I drive both about equally, depending on weather.

I am moving from FL, prob to PA, NY, CT or similar for my job. Unfortunately, the S2000 will not pass inspection up North.
frown.gif

I want something fun. Considering a 'Vette, Mustang, Charger SRT, etc. However, I know (for sure) that I will have a very long (but not daily) commute. Up to 1.2 hours each way, due to the fact that I will be working at 3 different NY-NJ airports. Hence the PA location being centrally located.

Yesterday I looked at a leftover Altima and it drove really well. Would make a fine commuter car for $18K plus fees/taxes. That leaves room for something else, but I really don't want two cars. I'd prefer to have something I enjoy driving all the time.

An automatic is a must. Price is important, but I'll pay more for something really nice.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
but I really don't want two cars.
So if you get a Mustang or a Vette, are you prepared to run winter wheels/tires on it during winter months?

Up north, if you have a fun/sporty car, it does make some sense also have a winter beater to go along with it so that you don't have to expose your fun car to salt and giant potholes, and you don't have to buy expensive winter tires for it in some exotic size. This is the reason why I'm contemplating keeping my old 530i as a winter car since I already have winter wheels for it, even once I do buy something more fun to drive during the other 3 seasons.

Sounds like your job is mission critical, and you'll be commuting in some pretty [censored] winter weather.
Larger is better for safety, but the fun equation suffers.
If it were me, my safety would take precedence over fun.
Following the logic, an AWD SUV would fit the criteria.
Just another perspective - from someone that deals with a lot of [censored] winter weather.

I would look at a used 135i. Comfortable daily driver/cruiser (once you get rid of the runflats, upgrade the rear subframe bushings to the M3 version and install better dampers) and with a mild tune (Dinan) can run like a scalded cat. Probably quicker in the 1/4 than the S2000. The newer N55 engine cars are much more reliable, but the automatic is a DCT which comes with its own challenges.

I am slightly biased though.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat ( though not moving from FL). I plan to trade my Rogue Select as I think the CVT has about 6 months left on it.

As far as the the Altima goes - my boss has gone through 3 CVT transmissions and the sheet fab designer has gone through 1 in the past 2 years. I had one as a loaner and I though it drove poorly given my past reference points. My little roge was much nicer over the road and my seats were better than the zero gravity seats in the Altima surprisingly.

I will say I REALLY enjoyed a Charger 300HP v6 rental I had in FL a couple years ago. Every thing worked well, car was FAST and smooth on the highway. A little money in the suspension would make it a handler if that's your goal. I was recently looking at a SRT 392 CHALLENGER with a 6 speed MT.. but list was over $50K and I hate the wheels and tires - really out of place on a muscle car. I can afford it but I don't throw money away on cars. Weather is tough up here.

May be looking at and Off lease Porsche Cayanne or an Audi. I know - trouble with reliability but I'm tired of plain vanilla Japanese cars.

Mustang or Camaro? - Not in New England through the winter. Plus, Pony cars are for Kids and secretaries.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the S2000 will not pass inspection up North.

Determine where you plan to live and check local inspection requirements.

Some states do not have inspection requirements outside of major cities. This is thue in both Minnesota and Ohio.

Sorry you have to move to colder grounds.
And for the Honda.
Since you will commute in winter weather no matter waht, would an SUV/taller wagon work?
-VW Alltrack (I know you hate VW)
-JEEP SRT/Trackhawk: Overkill posted some threads about both; probably you can get them cheaper then his canadian prices

I recently drove a Cadillac ATS 2.0 turbo all wheel drive with an automatic. It made a favorable impression and well worth a look see IMO.
This one was a 2014 with 38K on it, loaded and it was 20K bottom line.

AWD crossover. Lots of choices.

Personally, with a one hour plus commute, comfort and fuel economy would be important.

I currently drive an enjoyable but dilapidated AWD Jag X-Type 2.5L 5 speed manual, and a 407 RWHP Honda S2000. I drive both about equally, depending on weather.

I am moving from FL, prob to PA, NY, CT or similar for my job. Unfortunately, the S2000 will not pass inspection up North.
frown.gif

I want something fun. Considering a 'Vette, Mustang, Charger SRT, etc. However, I know (for sure) that I will have a very long (but not daily) commute. Up to 1.2 hours each way, due to the fact that I will be working at 3 different NY-NJ airports. Hence the PA location being centrally located.

Yesterday I looked at a leftover Altima and it drove really well. Would make a fine commuter car for $18K plus fees/taxes. That leaves room for something else, but I really don't want two cars. I'd prefer to have something I enjoy driving all the time.

An automatic is a must. Price is important, but I'll pay more for something really nice.

Thoughts?

Kia Stinger... but the 2.0L.

I did the commuter and "fun" car before... it nearly killed me. Mostly because the "normalish" commuter was slowly taking up 95% of the trips and killing my soul. I could never take the fun car enough. Now I have a fun car (Ginny) and a more fun car (MR2). I went kinda "cheaper" with the unloved Genesis (fantastic for what I wanted) than the 235 (still love it) or STI so I would keep two fun cars. Stinks about the inspection but I would see about keeping the Honda and trying to keep it within inspection demands without compromising it too much...

Ok, back to the Stinger. Automatic (8-speed)-check, fun-check, huge warranty (good for the hyper commuters)0check. If you keep it off boost, you should be able to get 30mpg out of it easily and not be killed in stop-go-traffic compared to a V6/V8 engine. It is a bit more "plush" GT car than carver which will soak up the miles better. While it is a "new car" the basic platform and 2.0T has been around since early 2010s. You should be able to get the base model for about the price of a very nice (Camry $30ish).

Airport parking dents? Ehhh, it is a Kia.

So for about $12K more, you can get the RWD (or pay for AWD) nice GT cruiser and (IMO) one of the better looking cars out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Acura TLX V6-AWD

Gets horrible reviews so probably get it for a song.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
GTI + DSG

The problem with ththe GTI is the requirements of a fun car that can soak up the miles. GTI is not really all that fun (about as spicy as a Chich-Fil-A sandwich with ketchup), not that great for absorbing a long commute (shorter wheelbase kills it and is not great with broken asphalt), and you do not want the VW repairs with a 1.5 hour commute.

The real goal here is a classic "GT" car with maybe skewed to better fuel economy, not a luke-warm golf.

If U choose a rear drive car up here in the north U will kick yourself in the arse! Winter as well as cold wet roads during spring and fall will keep your rear end fishtailing, usually when U dont want it to. Try a Subie WRX or the Ford Focus RS (the awd hot hatchback).

While I've done RWD in the winter in the areas the OP is speaking of it's not the optimal solution if you need to get somewhere in the crummy weather. And winter tires are almost a must.

2 that come to the top of my mind that would be relatively reasonably fun to drive and have AWD are:
Infiniti G37 with AWD (or whatever it's called now) - superb chassis and fun to drive
Taurus SHO - AWD and can get for cheap and fun to drive.

The Stinger could also be a fun option but it gets expensive quick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back