Mercedes . engine oil A2979890001

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what the manual states to use.
Does anyone have info on the grade, type etcetera ?

Equivalent oils?
Preferably Motul .
Thanks

welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

Why Motul?

I can't find that part number anywhere...doesn't it also say something like MB 229.5?

What year/model is your Mercedes?

Last edited:
It is a '12 SLS AMG GT3

The manual simply states

" It is advisable to use engine oil A2979890001 or an oil with the same specification."

Why Motul? We are partial to it and have had no lubrication failures so I try to stick with it unless we have specific instructions on an engine we did not assemble.

I have reached out to AMG and Motul but have not gotten a response.
Thanks

A2979890001 seems to be the part number for the oil, not the spec.

After a google search, I found this parts catalog that seems to come from some racing shop in Brazil. See page 64
smile.gif

The M1 0w40 should be ok to use in your SLS, since M1 has been the factory fill on every AMG for as long as AMG has been part of Mercedes

Ravenol has a couple recommendations for you. They have a 0w40 and a 5w40 they state is OK to use.

Here is what Motul recommends for your car.

thanks for all the input.

Small thing it is , I believe, based on a M159
GT3
Not built as a street car,there may or may not be internal differences.
This why I want to learn about that specific number the the manual says to use.
It is very possible that there are no specific requirements,

boutique oil

Motul , really?
Thanks again

Well, boutique isn't the right word for Motul, but one would never confuse it with a discount oil. I would wager plenty of GT3 racers with Benz vehicles have been using off the shelf M1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-40, and Pennzoil 5w-40.

Motul is a household word for motorsports. For the oil buying public, it's just a bit harder to find.

Originally Posted By: 95wagon

GT3

boutique oil

Motul , really?
Thanks again

whoops, sorry!

Isn't the AMG GT3 a homologation special? Sometimes the homologation has rules and regulations as to how close the GT3 racing version has to be to the street version. So, the street oil may very well be acceptable to use, but maybe not.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I would wager plenty of GT3 racers with Benz vehicles have been using off the shelf M1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-40, and Pennzoil 5w-40.

Motul is a household word for motorsports. For the oil buying public, it's just a bit harder to find.

This is certainly possible! I definitely would not doubt this being common
smile.gif

The only place I've ever seen Motul products on shelf was at a motorsports shop. Now, given that, it's price there would make a Royal Purple rep blush, even in Canada, but that's another matter.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
The only place I've ever seen Motul products on shelf was at a motorsports shop. Now, given that, it's price there would make a Royal Purple rep blush, even in Canada, but that's another matter.
wink.gif

When they blush, is it purple instead of red?
blush.gif

GT3

boutique oil

Motul , really?
Thanks again

Motul is not boutique oil, but it is not anything special.
Can you just go to local dealership and ask what oil is that part number?

Originally Posted By: deven
^^Motul 300V ester oil is special in my opinion and crazy expensive too!

It is racing application. Problem is TBN and other additives in that oil. It is not for every day use. There are other oil in that category too.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

It is racing application. Problem is TBN and other additives in that oil. It is not for every day use. There are other oil in that category too.

I have seen plenty of people use that oil for 10,000 miles and simultaneously do 1/4 mile drag racing.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I have seen plenty of people use that oil for 10,000 miles and simultaneously do 1/4 mile drag racing.

I would expect so.

This is what the manual states to use.
Does anyone have info on the grade, type etcetera ?

Equivalent oils?
Preferably Motul .
Thanks

The recommendation for the M159 engine (worldwide) is MB229.5, but only 0w-40 or 5w-40.
Motul solutions are 8100X-cess, 8100 X-max, Expert M, H-Tech Prime and the curiously named 'J-01 Street'. As Motul is based in France, one cannot say which, or if, any of these will be available to you in Canada.

Regards, lim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back