Morley's Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recent thread on Motomaster oil stabilizer reminded me of my experience with a similar product many years ago. It was early 1980, and I was driving a rusty '68 Impala with a very tired 307 that consumed copious amounts of oil - I was probably adding a litre every 150 miles or so. The car had about 15x,000 miles on it, which was quite a bit back then.

Anyway, my work took me to a small town in western Manitoba, and in a hardware store I saw a demo set up for "Morley's Oil Stabilizer". It was a clear plastic rig with two compartments - regular motor oil on the left, and 80% oil/20% Morley's on the right, and each side was equipped a little hand crank and a series of gears extending above the oil level. When you turned the crank, the Morley's-treated oil climbed the gears and left a think coating, whereas the untreated oil didn't adhere nearly as well.

This seemed to be the fix I was looking for. I added a quart or whatever the amount was, and suddenly ... nothing changed. The old 307 continued to drink oil and foul plugs.

In subsequent years I've seen the same set up for a Lucas oil thickener, and I am thus very skeptical. I've also seen videos linked from BITOG showing that Lucas-treated oil tends to retain air bubbles after being agitated vigorously.

I never saw Morley's again (and never bought it again either). That old engine was so shot that I doubt the additive did much harm other than lightening my wallet.

Actually it was called "Moreys" like Morey Amsterdam from the **** Van Dyke show.I believe it was the late 90s when they made an agreement with Lucas to let Lucas handle North America and Moreys would sell everywhere else in the world.Same stuff from what I gather.

Works great on those gears but not in an engine.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Actually it was called "Moreys" like Morey Amsterdam from the **** Van Dyke show.I believe it was the late 90s when they made an agreement with Lucas to let Lucas handle North America and Moreys would sell everywhere else in the world.Same stuff from what I gather.
Ah, that has the ring of truth! 1980 was a long time ago. So Morey was the parent company?

Originally Posted By: 63Marauder
Works great on those gears but not in an engine.
laugh.gif

I pulled the heads in the summer of '81 - the engine had just about bored itself out to being a 327. In fairness to Moray's, I don't think any additive would have helped the oil consumption.

Popular here in the '80's, and still available. I used to like the Morey's grease, real stringy and tacky. I used to use it in motorcycle steering head bearings, because the OE stuff used to dry out and turn to soap. Never a problem again in our rental fleet at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back