home air purifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a decent home air purifier?

House is about 1000 SQ feet, would like something that can do a good job on cat dander, etc.

The problem in our house, is we leave for work, and the AC doesn't circulate until late afternoon when it gets hotter, so we get some stale stinky air.

I seen that Alex Jones is selling the Alexapure Breeze, it actually has very high ratings for $149 and does 800 SQ feet.

Does anyone have first hand experience?

I don't want to run the HVAC fan constantly just to circulate air either.

There are lots of good brands but I like the Sharp models. Amazon has them. A bit on the expensive side but they run quiet and long.

Just looked up the Alexapure Breeze on Amazon, pretty impressive for that price. Looks similar to the Sharp models. The square foot capacity is quite a bit higher as well. I would try it.

Last edited:
Just don't buy anything that offers "negative ion" generation. There are ions of different polarity in normal air, but an excess of negative ions can cause lung damage.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Just don't buy anything that offers "negative ion" generation. There are ions of different polarity in normal air, but an excess of negative ions can cause lung damage.

I’ve heard that too. We deal with the same thing and the real answer is vacuuming every day with a vac that has a hepa filter on the exhaust. That’s what really knocks it down. That and making the bedroom OFF LIMITS to critters. About the best you can do with a portable air cleaner is a single small room like a bedroom. Doing a whole house is a major undertaking which is why I say lotsa vacuuming works better. That and opting for wooden floors insteadstead of carpet. Run a quick mop across it often too
The big consideration for a portable in your bedroom is how much NOISE you can live with. Many of them are pretty loud . It’s hard to make one quiet and still move enough air to be effective. The other consideration is the price of replacement filters. You don’t want something cheap with replacement filters costing almost as much as the machine.
Oransi 1128 is what I got back in 2011. It’s been purring along since then all night most nights. $325 back then but it as rated as one of if not the quietest out there. Filters around $80 ish. How wonderful is it ya ask, seems good and it does pick up plenty of dusty crud. If you don’t mind sleeping through more noise the cheaper ones will likely do fine just watch out for the replacement filter prices. I cheat and back blow my filter with the air compressor like a cars air filter
thumbsup2.gif

Follow what I said earlier and your allergies will be far better, especially keeping the cats out of the bedroom , Zyrtec seems to workwell with pet allergies FWIW. There that’s my 2 cents worth

I use decent, but not too restrictive, pleated filters and let my blower run 24/7. The electricity use is not even noticeable on my bill and the tech people at work (Lennox) told me the motor would actually last longer this way. We're not talking about HEPA level purification here, just less dust. I change my filters every 60 days rather than every 90 days as a result of the extra dust being caught. Cheap and easy way to use what you already have.

Oh yea. somewhere out there a while back I saw a complete pic Torio on how to make your own air filter ration system. It was pretty neat actually consisting of a large 16 inch L cheapo plastic Walmart fan built into simple housing made of just cardboard into high grade and it might be even have been hepa furnace filters. The whole thing was just taped together but it sure looked like it move a lot of air . I use these fans for drying up wet basements and ventilating the horse barn so I can tell you they are very quiet and still move a lot of air. All in all it look like a pretty slick rig. A bit bulky but [censored] cheap to operate and probably works a lot better than anything else you’re going to find commercially . You might try looking around and seeing if you can find how to build that or you could just figure it out yourself it didn’t look very hard.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Not sure what you have for a thermostat, I've seen some that have a "CIRC" or "CLEAN AIR" mode that runs the fan for 10 minutes an hour or so, regardless of setting. I've seen this on Lux, RobertShaw and Hunter models, for a few options.

I looked this Lux up, it gets pretty good reviews and has that feature-

https://www.amazon.com/LuxPRO-PSPA711-Changeover-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000BT6D9W

I second this. My thermostat (really cheap low end honeywell) has the option for CIRC which kicks the fan on occasionally. I'm not actually sure of the interval. I run this usually when pollen is really bad outside or if I'm cleaning inside to help filter the air.

That said I have a germ guardian device for the bedroom. provides some extra filtering as well as some white noise for sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back