Pirelli P4 tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am researching tires and I have 2 options for the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons plus tire.

Both are 195/65R15 (stock) size:

One is T rated SL = 760 A B Rating 105$ per tire
Other is H rated = 620 A A Rating = 111$ per tire

Which one would you choose and why? The speed rating difference between T and H is very small to me, not sure that difference is worth anything..
Also, Would you go for a B in temperature vs an A in temperature but willing to gain some treadwear rating? Hard to decide on which one would be the best choice here... its for a daily driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Would you go for a B in temperature vs an A in temperature but willing to lose some treadwear rating?

If you go for B (instead of A), you are gaining longer treadwear, not losing.

Personally, I'd go for A. The H-rated tire typically has better construction, which is also why it gets a better temperature rating.

Just based on this info, I would go with the H rating as I don't like the idea of a B temperature rating if I can avoid it.

That said, we made sure we got T rated General AltiMAX RT43 tires because CR reported better winter performance for those than the H rated variety and we weren't planning to buy snow tires for her car...she's a student and generally does not have to go to school during bad storms.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Would you go for a B in temperature vs an A in temperature but willing to lose some treadwear rating?

If you go for B (instead of A), you are gaining longer treadwear, not losing.

Personally, I'd go for A. The H-rated tire typically has better construction, which is also why it gets a better temperature rating.

Thanks! I made the correction

i believe the H rating requires an increase in structural durability that would be worth the $25.

What was the result of your overheating condition?

Tirerack has the tread width of the T rated version 10% narrower than the H. So in theory it should be a better winter tire, ride a bit smoother and get better mileage IMO. I just did some serious winter driving this weekend with the Outback on its OE all season tires that measure only 6.5" on the road and was impressed. Oddly enough Bridgestone did the opposite with the OE H rated version being 10% narrower than the T rated tire of the same size. I presume Subaru did this for mileage, and ride quality.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
i believe the H rating requires an increase in structural durability that would be worth the $25.

What was the result of your overheating condition?

Overheat was caused by a loose fan connector. (fans werent kicking on I suppose).

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Tirerack has the tread width of the T rated version 10% narrower than the H. So in theory it should be a better winter tire, ride a bit smoother and get better mileage IMO. I just did some serious winter driving this weekend with the Outback on its OE all season tires that measure only 6.5" on the road and was impressed. Oddly enough Bridgestone did the opposite with the OE H rated version being 10% narrower than the T rated tire of the same size. I presume Subaru did this for mileage, and ride quality.

Not a concern for me since the mandatory winter tire law in Quebec. These would be used for 3 seasons only.

I used to always get the T rating instead of H. The T rating is good for 118 and the H is good for 130. I pretty much don't go anywhere near 100 and those speed ratings are usually at that speed for 70 minutes. So H rating uses a softer compound so they have better grip for corner. But it was never an issue with the T rating. I hated having the H rating tires, I think the ones I got were rated for 40k and I ended up only getting 30k out of them. When I had T rated tires, they were rated for 80k and I got around 70k out of them. For a daily driver, I'd just go with the T. Usually the specs are the same, the only difference is usually the tread compound and sometimes they might have an extra belt.

Get the H-rated version
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back