Anybody have a parrot? Do they make good pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has one, but he( the parrot) will only let his wife reach in the cage and lift him out,,,they will bite and can take your finger off.....but besides that, the bird is great...they will outlive most owners,,50 years is normal or more..

Yea if you get one understand they live a very long time and are VERY smart. So they do as they please and will pock favorites as said above. They also need a lot of attention. So you can't just have one and leave it alone all day.

Smart was what I was thinking. 50 yrs, that is the breaker there. I'm not gonna risk leaving an orphan.Not right.
They sure are pretty.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Smart was what I was thinking. 50 yrs, that is the breaker there. I'm not gonna risk leaving an orphan.Not right.
They sure are pretty.

Look for a rescue if you are really interested. Many end up at shelters as people will pass away and/or move and can;t take with them.

And no round cages, only square. Can't believe they still make round cages.

Years ago my wife had a double Yellow stupid parrot. Loud filthy and messy.After a few years it was a sell the
parrot or I would kill the pos.

If you are not familiar with handling birds a large parrot will probably not be a fun experience, a smaller species like a Quaker parrot might be something to consider, they are smart and easier to handle only in a smaller package.
I use a place near Nashua NH for food but they specialize in birds and have quite a few inc the occasional re home. PM me if you are interested.

My folks had a Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo briefly. Nice animal, liked its wing-pits scratched, but as has been said of parrots, they get bored easily and then will make a lot of noise and destroy things.

The cage they put it in was originally for a pair of parrokeets (also troublesome, given to building nests with the wallpaper) and it busted out in less than an hour. Very strong bird.

They sold it back to the pet shop at a cut rate, making it quite an expensive rental. I suspect that this had been a fairly reliable income stream for them over the years.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: andyd
They sure are pretty.

Look for a rescue if you are really interested. Many end up at shelters as people will pass away and/or move and can;t take with them.

And no round cages, only square. Can't believe they still make round cages.
+1 Maybe you can find one that’s already pretty old and needs a good home.

meh, no thanks. A dog or a cat make a good pet, but nothing that has to stay in a cage.

My ex boss has had them for 27 years and they will probably out live him …
Noisy and some maintenance to consider …

I had a green Quaker Parrot for years, until my dog got a hold of it
frown.gif

Wonderful little bird, smart, talked a little, was always happy and very friendly. They are considerably larger than parakeets, but not as big as a full sized parrot.

My psycho [censored] ex-wife had a pair of macaws. They needed large and expensive cages. Very noisy. Very messy, and they can be difficult to handle, take your finger off. They waste most of the food so it rots in the newspapers on the bottom of the cage until you change the papers which is similar to cleaning cat litter, actually its worse. When you look at the coloring of the feathers up close its beautiful. They belong in a rain forest not caged in your living room.

I have dogs and a cat. They are domesticated. Man's best friend, at least the dog. The cat, not sure, I think he is just letting me stay in his house.

I'd get a male Boxer(dog) from a rescue, incredible pets. Avg life span is 13 yrs or so. A Boxer is half Mastiff and half Bulldog. Although very high energy when young but they calm down after a year or so. Very good indoors, gentle, smart, strong, etc...

I admit not the best looking but GREAT personality. Clean, don't stink, short coat, super patient with young children, etc.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Birds are dirty.
God made 'em fly in the great outdoors.
Buy a photo or a video of birds.

Amen to that!
I have an uncle, who when we visited him when I was 13, had birds flying all over his apartment. He refused to put them in cages.
You could imagine the disgusting mess they left everywhere.
My older brother and I were tempted to "accidentally" leave a window open, should they want to escape.

I have 5 of them. It was mostly my wife that wanted them, but since she passed away they're all mine to take care of now. They're really not that hard to take care of, but they do make a big mess and they can be very loud at times. Food gets expensive with 5 of them, and a large amount gets wasted because they throw it everywhere.

This one is a Yellow Naped Amazon. She's the only one that we bought from a pet store. The rest are all rescues.

This one is a male Eclectus. The females are red with a black beak and purple under the wings where he has red.

This picture is the Amazon on the left. The two in the middle are Indian Ringnecks, and the one on the right is a Sun Conure. He died a couple years ago of a heart defect.

This one is a White Bellied Caique. For size comparison, she's a little bigger than the Indian Ringnecks but quite a bit smaller than the Amazon and Eclectus.

I wouldn't recommend the larger birds for someone who doesn't have experience with birds. Indian Ringneck or Conure would be better for someone who is inexperienced with birds. They're smaller, make a little less mess, eat less, poop less, and don't bite nearly as hard. The larger birds can inflict some pretty nasty wounds if they decide to bite. The bites from the smaller birds aren't nearly as bad, but even they can break skin.

Another thing to consider is veterinary care. Most regular vets don't provide care for birds. Avian vets can be few and far between, and tend to be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back