Best paint protection for non-car people

Status
Not open for further replies.
what’s a good method and/or product that will keep a car protected for a long time with minimal maintenance?

My parents are not car people and they let the cars go unwashed for 2-3 months at a time. They usually just rinse the car down each time and if lucky they’ll use the classic soap & brush method then air dry. They currently use turtle ice wash&wax soap.

I have collinite 845 which so far works great on my car(only been on for 1 week), but I’m thinking about ceramic coating my parents cads. But is the CC really worth the extra money if it doesn’t get touched up here and there with a spray wax? I rather have them drive a dirty car then me having to do paint correction every 6 months from improper drying

Typical ceramic coatings do not require regular waxing. In fact, for most of the good ones, putting wax or other 'top up' on them will interfere with the coating's hydrophobic and soil-shedding properties.

What about carpro hydro2 lite? From reviews it’s showing 3-4 months of results with minimal washing.

It’d be nice if I didn’t have to spend $200 on CC and have the car garaged for 2 days. But heck if it’s worth it I will

I would go for either CarPro Reload - which last a few months on its own or Sonax Polymer Netshield which has a unbelievable water beading. Both products are easy to use and last a considerable amount of time.

Perfect products for care care lazy people.

Hi there avocado,

I would wash, clay, ipa wipedown, then apply collinite 845. Should give a year of protection. Sure beats doing nothing and you already have 845 on hand.

I wouldn't correct the paint since the clear coat is about the thickness of a human hair. Each time it's corrected the clear coat is reduced. I've seen car's that have been corrected on an annual basis have their paint finish look terrible from the clear coat being burned away.

I gather you won't be doing it for them. If you were, I'd say something really durable you would only have to mess with twice a year.

If they do it, I'd go for a rinseless wash. I like the Garry Dean method, but it's slightly slower and requires a couple of Walmart bags of microfiber towels that you would have to gift them.

A spray sealant would be the way to go. I like Optimum Spray wax, which is about as durable as ordinary sealant, despite its name.

I have Opti-Coat pro on my 14 Durango. The only thing I have ever done to the outside finish since is run it through the auto touchless carwash. Never used any wax/spray wax, nothing on it. Looks as good as new yet. It is garage kept. I bought it 4 years ago in early May, and had Opti-coat applied that year in August.

Low tech is probably fine.

My car's paint is 17 years old and looks great for being stored outdoors all year long. I get compliments on it all the time.

Wash and wax by hand 2X per year. Cheap Turtle wax or something from Meguiars. Doesn't matter much.

I hit the hand wand car wash about every month for $3...and it may not even by necessary. Once a quarter might work. My back doesn't like hand washing. Check the car ever day or two for organic stuff out of trees or bird doo. That's cleaned off as it occurs. No intention of ever using a high tech system or clay baring. Not for a daily driver that looks just fine without any defects in the clear coat.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hi there avocado,

I would wash, clay, ipa wipedown, then apply collinite 845. Should give a year of protection. Sure beats doing nothing and you already have 845 on hand.

I wouldn't correct the paint since the clear coat is about the thickness of a human hair. Each time it's corrected the clear coat is reduced. I've seen car's that have been corrected on an annual basis have their paint finish look terrible from the clear coat being burned away.

Right now I’m pretty set on 845. Seems to hold up well to heat and car wash presoaks. But at the same time I just naturally want to find something even better lol.

My current car is only 1 year old, parked out doors and I just don’t have access to a water/hose, I usually take it to the self wash or touchless wash. Can’t say I haven’t been thru a handful of soft touch washes either. Clear is pretty scratched and is very visible in the sun. I assume it’d be too early to do a paint correction.

Could I slap chemical guys butter wet wax ontop of 845 as a LSP? As nice as 845 looks I just don’t seem to see the glow of my Subaru’s dark blue(lapis blue pearl)

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I gather you won't be doing it for them. If you were, I'd say something really durable you would only have to mess with twice a year.

If they do it, I'd go for a rinseless wash. I like the Garry Dean method, but it's slightly slower and requires a couple of Walmart bags of microfiber towels that you would have to gift them.

A spray sealant would be the way to go. I like Optimum Spray wax, which is about as durable as ordinary sealant, despite its name.

I’ll be doing it for them, so looking for the longest lasting product. I did leave a bottle of Mothers speed spray wax at home but I figure it’d cause more damage in the long run(improper wiping, dirty surface)

In this particular case I would use NuFinish providing the car is properly clean. Simple, cheap, long lasting.

I washed my wife's car last night and was pleasantly surprised to still see the water beading/sheeting away. I waxed her car last November using my favorite, Collinite 845 insulator wax, and it has held up great over this long winter. Mind you, being as it is still fairly new, the paint is still good, but I was glad to see it did its job over the winter.
It still shines/reflects great and looks awesome all washed up and dried. It's highly unlikely I'll ever use another wax going forward. I have used it for quite a few years now and still puts a smile on my face.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
In this particular case I would use NuFinish providing the car is properly clean. Simple, cheap, long lasting.

Yup. I’ve used it the last few years after trying fancier stuff. It lasts longer and works. There are others that may make black pop but it works for me, and can be applied in sunlight. Today’s, nufinish

I just did my Rubicon again yesterday with Menzerna Power Lock. IMO it is the best product I have used. Over the years I tried New Finish, Rejex, Black Diamond Sealant, Collinite 845 and 476S and a many others. Of the sealants and waxes that I've tried the Menzerna PL is the hands down winner. Every time I think of buying something else I stop myself and use the PL. It costs more but I found it lasts a lot longer, and I value my time more and more as I get older. Opinions and observations seem to vary.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I just did my Rubicon again yesterday with Menzerna Power Lock. IMO it is the best product I have used. Over the years I tried New Finish, Rejex, Black Diamond Sealant, Collinite 845 and 476S and a many others. Of the sealants and waxes that I've tried the Menzerna PL is the hands down winner. Every time I think of buying something else I stop myself and use the PL. It costs more but I found it lasts a lot longer, and I value my time more and more as I get older. Opinions and observations seem to vary.

Menzerna is a top notch sealant. I will second this recommendation. Also known as Jescar Powerlock since Jescar is the newer name for Menzerna.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Menzerna is a top notch sealant. I will second this recommendation. Also known as Jescar Powerlock since Jescar is the newer name for Menzerna.

thumbsup2.gif
I still have the older bottle, but when it's done I will be buying the newer named product. I got a burst of energy with the nice weather and just did a second coat. I'd redo it in November before the cold weather really kicks in.

I use the Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant once a year (usually late spring), and then just 'maintain' it with Collinite 845 the rest of the time (like almost every time I get a chance to wash the car, hopefully once every 3 weeks or so).

Holds up fine to the winter salt, and spring/summer pollen so far.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back