Got a great deal on 4x Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting tire option. One I considered for my Honda before I eventually went with the Pilot Sport AS/3. (I love them)
I would still consider these as a replacement for the AS/3 if I still have the car by the time they need to be changed. (Use them in summer only)

Well I pulled the trigger and had these installed Saturday. My previous tires - BF Goodrich Advantage T/A's - still had about 7/32" tread left on them, but I got antsy, and went ahead with the swap.

Now I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far, but that includes my morning commute to work of 40 highway miles, and I can say I noticed a difference.

- Road noise was significantly reduced. Granted, the Advantage T/A's were a few years old and worn down some, but they were also UTQG 680, vs a UTQG of 500 on the Coopers. All in all, they are noticeably quieter to me.

- The ride feels noticeably different. I'm not sure 'softer' is the right term, but it definitely felt different. Not sure if it's got anything to do with the fact that the old tires were 225/50/17 and these are 215/55/17, leaving me with a slightly thicker tire and more air cushion, or if the 'softer' compound just had a little more give. Whatever it is, bumps felt softer, and the ride just seemed to have some.. cushion.

They're currently inflated to 33 PSI. I plan to bump them up to 35 PSI and see if anything changes. I'll also be observing my fuel economy to see if it changes with these new tires over the coming weeks.

Yup, I've had good experiences with DTD.

I picked up a set of Cooper RS3s size 205/50/17 back in 2014 for alittle over $400 shipped to my door. Free shipping and no tax(DTD doesn't have a warehouse in NY
grin.gif
). Those tires handled great in snow, sadly I was only able to put roughly 10,000 miles on them before my car got totaled. I would have liked to see how they performed with lower tread depth. They were good tires, only gripe I have about them is that they do wear alittle quick. Nothing crazy but after 10k miles it went from 10.5/32nds to 8/32nds.

I'd get them again if I had to, but there are soo many options out there I'd like to try all of them lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: avacado11
Yup, I've had good experiences with DTD.

I picked up a set of Cooper RS3s size 205/50/17 back in 2014 for a little over $400 shipped to my door. Free shipping and no tax(DTD doesn't have a warehouse in NY
grin.gif
). Those tires handled great in snow, sadly I was only able to put roughly 10,000 miles on them before my car got totaled. I would have liked to see how they performed with lower tread depth. They were good tires, only gripe I have about them is that they do wear a little quick. Nothing crazy but after 10k miles it went from 10.5/32nds to 8/32nds.

I'd get them again if I had to, but there are soo many options out there I'd like to try all of them lol

The rear tire(many different brands) of my S2000 would be less than 2/32" after about 8-12k miles.

Write a complaint or fill out survey about the ebay only discount.. Im confident they will reimburse your credit card the difference. They did for me once.

Last edited:
So it's been 9 months and a little over 10,000 miles on the RS3-A tires, and here's my thoughts so far.

Keep in mind, 90% of my day to day driving is highway driving.

- Fuel economy appears to have dropped just a little, which is both a little surprising, and a little expected. The tires are 215/55R17 vs the previous 225/50R17 tires, so the contact patch is just a little thinner, but the tires are newer, and softer than the old BF Goodrich Advantage T/A tires that were on there, so there's that trade off. Also, the Advantage T/A's were at least a few years old at the time, so perhaps they were drier/harder and thus had less rolling resistance than these softer/newer RS3-A tires. There were also some other changes done to the car within a month or so of putting the tires on, so those changes could have affected the MPGs.

- Road noise continues to be low, even after 10,000 miles on the tires. I have found them to be remarkably quiet, even at 80+ Mph on Phoenix highways.

- Road grip continues to be excellent. They hold fast on turns and grip well during hard braking. My car isn't a sports car, so it's hard to say really how well they grip under "Hard acceleration" as I almost never really "Get on it" from a dead stop.

- Tread life continues to be excellent. Even after 10,000 miles, they still have around 9.5/32 - 10/32 tread on all 4 corners. The tread is wearing evenly and there's no chunking or pitting. At this rate, I feel confident I'll go well past the 40,000 mile warranty. IMHO, these are underrated in that category. With a UTQG of 500AAA, I would not be shocked if I make it to at least 50,000 miles on this set, especially since almost all of my driving is highway.

- Although we have not gotten MUCH rain here in Phoenix, there have been a few stretches of steady rain in the 9 months since I had them mounted, and I must say that I've found the wet weather handling to be right up there with normal dry weather handling.

All in all, an EXCELLENT all-season / summer tire. I would absolutely consider them again

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Deduct from that the (hopefully) $90 in rebates, and I get 4 of these very good tires for just a hair over $300

The Discount Tire near me says they'll install them for $15 each, so that means I get these for $364.62, installed, once all is said and done. That's only $91 a tire, delivered and installed.

Do you remember how much they charged for the install, shop supplies, misc fees and such out the door? When I price tires at the DT here and subtract out the tire price, the install is over $100.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, installation on the four tires at my local Discount Tire was about $60. I should be able to dig up the receipt and get an exact figure...

Thank you and that sounds like a good deal. No need to look up since Ohio has different eviro fees tacked on. I'll give them a call and see what they can do.

Figured I'd post a follow-up on these, since it's been just over 2 years since these tires went on.

They went on the car 4/9/2016, and the car had roughly 212,995 miles at the time. Tread was listed at 10.5/32" and measurements at the time seemed to match.

The car now has 252,900 miles on it, so we're at just a hair under 40,000 miles on the tires. They've seen about 90-95% highway miles here in Phoenix, typically around 70+ mph with occasional stop-n-go driving. Temperatures during summer peak at over 115 degrees.

I had the wheels rotated this past Saturday 4/14, and all tires were between 6/32" and 7/32" and showed no issues. Based on this, I would not be surprised if they made it to 75,000 miles.

Considering that the tires are rated at 40,000 miles, I'd say they're doing pretty darn good. I'm basically AT the warranty now, and they've completed exceeded expectations.

Noise has increased slightly compared to when they were new, but this is expected.
Fuel economy has improved since they went on.. whether this is at all due to the tires hardening or 'wearing-in' or whatever is debatable.
Road grip remains consistently good

I have to say, Cooper has made me a fan with these tires.

Thanks for the updates! You should try the replacement for the RS3-A, the RS3-G1. The RS3-G1 is better in every performance category except for deep snow traction.

Wow, just looked up the RS3-G1 tires on Discount Tire Direct. In my Fusion's size (225/50R17), they have them listed at $86.40 each. Good price, but they also have two rebates listed for them currently - One is a $100 cooper rebate if you buy 4 tires, and the other is a DTD $50 rebate on 4 tires. Add those up, and that equates to 4 tires, delivered, for $195.60. Not bad at all.

If I didn't already have a stack of 4 tires sitting in my garage ready for my next tire change, I'd pull the trigger on that. The tires look really good.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Could someone tell me if the RS3 tires are made in the USA? I'll be needing tires for my Mustang soon.

They are made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back