Looking at a '96 Grand Prix (GM W-body)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happened to drive by a car for sale, that is one I've always wanted to own-- for some reason I love the looks of these and they are getting rather hard to find. I stopped by and test drove it. It's a typical 22 year old car- lots of little interior bits need fixing, the stuff that was typical of GM cars in this era. Broken door handle, drivers inside door handle works intermittently, some squeeks, rattles, nothing major. Exterior is a 7/10- great original paint except one tiny rust spot, some rear tint peeling, missing Pontiac decal on front, probably some other small things I'm forgetting. No underbody rust, just the typical surface rust you'd fine on cars in most any climate. Interior is an easy 9/10, pretty immaculate besides the various things that need repair.

The only huge red flag is that a previous owner rigged the cooling fan up to run full-time. I'm hoping this is just the infamous failed intake gasket on the 3100 engine, but this problem could be a potential money pit. Needs bushings, maybe shocks/struts, but I would expect to replace these things on an older vehicle anyhow. ABS actuates on dry pavement, could be ABS module or wheel speed sensors.

The car for me serves no purpose other than to sit in the garage, fix it up, and drive it on weekends. Unfortunately the drivetrain combo of this year is a pretty unexciting one - 3100 V6 with 4T60E tranny. But what it lacks in performance, it more than makes up in looks, and I can fix the performance part over time. No idea if a L67 (3.8L supercharged) would swap in, but that route might have some potential in the future.

I talked the guy down to $1,400, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. At that price, I have a budget of about $1,000 to do any needed repairs, which would entail mostly parts as I do all the labor myself, within reason (alignments and stuff I don't have equipment for, I take elsewhere).

Lousy idea, or does this look like it might be an okay deal? I know the answer is different for every person, but I like older vehicles much better than new ones with a hefty car payment!

Images below:

I'm a sucker for this body style too.
And even with the 3100 they weren't that bad.

But if your gut is telling you maybe not , then " When in doubt, do without" .

Just my $.02

I had a '95 4-door for a while. Super base model. I loved that thing, but I'm not sure why.

That being said, for $1,400 and just for fun I say offer him $1,100.

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think... an LS4 from a newer SS/GXP will fit in there. Now that would be a project!

Some of the Oldsmobile Eighty Eights already had the 3.8L supercharged, as well as 97 and newer Grand Prix.

I’d get a car with the engine you want

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
That being said, for $1,400 and just for fun I say offer him $1,100.

The OP said he already talked him down to $1400. Meaning the seller was asking a higher price.

I'd pass on the above model and look for one in mint shape without RUST.

I had a 99 grand prix with the 3.8 engine a long way back. It was a solid vehicle. I only wished it was rwd and didn’t have that cheap feeling switchgear.

$1400 for a 96. No way. Around where I live a car like that is in the $700 to $950 range. I wouldn't buy it. At least not for $1400.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Get online and find one like it that's in better shape.

I've been online upside down and sideways. This one is unique-- try to find one in your area.

$1,400 doesn't buy much of a car nowadays. That said, I'm still on the fence. Buying one with the engine I want ('96-99 Bonneville SSEI) in fair condition will be easily twice the price. I don't like the body style as much. The 00-05 Bonneville, I've owned one already, would consider another for the right price, but it's too large a car. The Grand Prix of '97+ / GTP are too ubiquitous and I'm not a fan of the style. They're mostly beaten up like a red headed stepchild at their age. I'd consider an Oldsmobile 88 LLS (3800 S/C) or a Buick Regal GS too, but not finding anything but junk locally. You can switch an engine with a lot of time, money and difficulty, but you can't change the car.

Thanks everyone for the input so far, it helps. I might wait a bit and if it doesn't sell, see if I can shave more off the price unless something better pops up.

Originally Posted By: Kage860
I had a 99 grand prix with the 3.8 engine a long way back. It was a solid vehicle. I only wished it was rwd and didn’t have that cheap feeling switchgear.

Cheap feeling switchgear?

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Get online and find one like it that's in better shape.

You might be asking the impossible out of a mid-90's GM W-body, or any GM car for that matter. JMHO.

Forget that one and look for a little later model with a 3800 in it. Pay close attention to the transmission and rocker panels in all of them especially if it has a sunroof.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: strongt
$1400 for a 96. No way. Around where I live a car like that is in the $700 to $950 range. I wouldn't buy it. At least not for $1400.

I'm having a rough time finding one. https://stgeorge.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=grand+prix

There is a solid looking 1995 for $1,000 with low miles, but sadly it is a sedan.

Don't use craigslist. Waste of time with people asking too much. At least here. I just did a 2 sec scan: https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4454707 . Yes I know it's not a 2 door. But she's $700. Just saying the owner of that 96 is asking way more then I would pay. That is all. It's your money do what you want with it.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Grand Prix of that era. The 3100, once the intake is fixed, normally trucks right along for a long time. The 4T60-E transmission, provided it's maintained and not abused, normally does the same. The engine doesn't sound terrible if you try to open up the exhaust a bit.

Having said that, if you aren't interested in the car, I'd be interested in contact info to purchase it myself. It's difficult to find one of these that isn't rotted out. My 96 Grand Prix could use a nice donor car to correct some rust problems it has.

GM 3100/3400 engines actually sound quite good in my opinion with an exhaust, as does the 3800. 3800 sounds better IMO, perhaps because of the 90* bank angle. I can't say the same for Ford's Duratec 3.0L, Nissan and Honda motors of the era.

I'm going to go by tomorrow with cash and mull it over one more time. I figure I better make my mind up sooner than later, or some poor soul is going to pay full asking price ($2k) for the thing, because it does look that good-- The reliability and work needed is what scares me.

I will post contact info for the guy if I decide to walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back