Generator not starting... check your plugs! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my chonda generator takes the same 14mm by 3/4 inch reach gasket seat plugs as most of my cars. Since I don't throw anything away I have a few spares.

If you're really up a creek you might be able to "hot swap" them-- sometimes engines start better with a "hot plug".

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Originally Posted By: webfors
I replaced it with a NGK BR7ES and she starts easy and purrs like a kitten now.

Forgive me for asking, but isn't the correct cross reference for the Torch F6RTC the NGK BPR6ES? How did you land upon the plug you are using, or was it simply one you had on hand in a moment of need?

The local store didn't have a BPR6ES equivalent. I did some research running a BPR7ES is fine. The "hotter" vs "cooler" has nothing to do with the spark intensity. It has to do with the plugs ability to dissipate heat.

I suspect you could run a number lower or higher without much difference. But a couple numbers lower, or hotter, could cause detonation...

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: webfors
I'll replace with a spec'd BPR6ES when I get my hands on them. In the meantime, I don't see any downside other than a potential fouled plug after some prolonged use.

Actually your photos look just like the plug in my one year old Ariens 254cc snow blower motor after only about two hours of total use. That one was marked Torch with the same model number as yours. I cleaned and gapped it, put it back in, an the machine is running better than ever. You may not have a problem at all if the generator runs for several hours at a time with a reasonably heavy load. Maybe you should keep the correct plug on hand just in case this one does give you problems down the road.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Torch brand plug, maybe?

Great name for a plug, but yeah they seem like low end Chinese quality.
I looked up their corp website and chuckled at this quote:

"Torch always treats the quality as the treasure life and possession to pursue the zero defects. The high quality standards and control has brought us so many business clients and OEM clients such as Shanghai GM, Shanghai VW, Dongfeng Motor, FAW, Chery, Jelly, Shenyang Mitsubishi, and etc, and won good reputation from all of Torch clients."

I'm thoroughly confused now after cross referencing plugs this afternoon. I pulled up the manual for my Champion generator, model 46555 and the manual says to use NGK BR6ES (notice the lack of a "P" between the "B" and "R"). The Torch plug that came out of my generator from factory was model F6RTC. When you cross reference the Torch F6RTC on either of the NGK or Champion websites you get the NGK BPR6ES or the Champion RN9YC.

The NGK BR6ES cross references to the Champion RN4C.

These are obviously different plugs, so I am confused. Do I go with the BR6ES stated in the manual, or the cross referenced Torch F6RTC equivalent which is the NGK BPR6ES or Champion RN9YC??

I think I'll start a new thread for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back