Think I will go sky diving today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like fun sir
smile.gif

Have a great time

I have 55 jumps. Jumped with a Paracomander .Church window design. (Think of a stained window in church).

Did it while I was in the USAF 1966-1970.

It was a private club through the AF.

Used a Cessna 182 in Alabama. I was stationed a Eglin AFB (Hurlburt Field )in Fort Walton Beach FL.

I'LL dig up a picture and post

Fun times.
TOMB

Last edited:
I jumped from the first plane in which I flew. Took off in GA and landed in AL at Fryar drop zone near Ft Benning, GA

Enjoy

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The indoor skydiving thing looks like fun. I'm too uncoordinated to attempt it.

Probably safer than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I jumped from the first plane in which I flew. Took off in GA and landed in AL at Fryar drop zone near Ft Benning, GA

Enjoy

As did I. Out of a C-119 in 67.

Once was enough for me, back in May 1986. Cessna (172?) - high-wing, fixed gear, diagonal strut from the landing gear up to the wing, holding the pilot, jump master, and four skydivers. Static line and a round chute. This was before the tandem jump days, at least at this small operation. I wanted to confront my fear of heights head-on ... I was quite scared but enjoyed it, but figured once was enough.

Have 26 jumps all paid for by my good uncle Sam.5 at Ft. Benning, 20 at Ft Bragg and 1 jump with the Aussies. I was on jump status at the time so getting jump pay. Paying out of pocket for a jump has never been something I have ever desired to do.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Cujet
The indoor skydiving thing looks like fun. I'm too uncoordinated to attempt it.

Probably safer than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Its only safer by a factor of 27 quadrillion.

Indoor skydiving is the only one I would try.

I’ve always wondered,when you skydive can you feel your stomach in your throat like when you’re on a roller coaster? Or does it just feel like you’re floating? Can you actually feel the speed of yourself falling?

My thoughts exactly. I would always tell my skydiving buddy (RIP Randy) that I'm not jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. He would say when you get in the plane you would realize it is not a perfectly good plane. I would then respond with the only time I'm jumping out of a plane is after it has crash landed and I am jumping out for my life.

My friend Randy died in a halo skydiving accident.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Jumping out of a sound aircraft seems silly !!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Richie
My thoughts exactly. I would always tell my skydiving buddy (RIP Randy) that I'm not jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. He would say when you get in the plane you would realize it is not a perfectly good plane. I would then respond with the only time I'm jumping out of a plane is after it has crash landed and I am jumping out for my life.

My friend Randy died in a halo skydiving accident.

Well jumping out of an unsound aircraft is still fine. I think there was some pilot that did that, one of the sky divers hit the tail after jumping and he couldn't control the plane anymore so he also jumped. I think unless the plane is used for sky diving or is an acrobatics plane, you're not even allowed to have a parachute. Pilot has to go down with the plane like everyone else.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I’ve always wondered,when you skydive can you feel your stomach in your throat like when you’re on a roller coaster? Or does it just feel like you’re floating? Can you actually feel the speed of yourself falling?

Nope nope and nope. At least I never did. There is a slight sensation of falling when you first jump out, but once your velocity builds for me that feeling went away quickly. They way I describe it to people is, stick your arm out of your car window on the highway. Now imagine that feeling on the entire front of your body. It feels like you are being supported by a huge blast of air. Like you were trying to stand against hurricane force winds.

I never had any real sensation or realization of falling unless I was near clouds, or an airplane was flying nearby and I could see the relative movement. Other than that, it was just a lot of wind and the seeing ground waaaaay down below me.

At least thats how I remember it...I made my first jump on my 16th birthday, and being that I'm 50 now my diving days are likely over, thanks to wife, kids, and middle age reminding me I am no longer immortal like I was in my teens and 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back