NEW Jean Jacket ..... SMELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 70s-early 80s I wore the New Balance "Classics" before they were classics
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira

How very funny that I just yesterday unearthed a black denim jacket (Lee) which was business SWAG (Stuff We All Get) from my sister's company.

Spending time in TV and its world of low-price promotional goods I thought it meant "Shirts, Wearables, And Gifts".
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What is this, the 80’s/early 90’s!?

Who wears jean jackets?

//

If it stinks that badly, its likely cheaply made. Return it. I know you said not to say that, but its what i would do.

I still have a JC. PENNY PLAIN POCKETS jean jacket. And, a MEMBERS ONLY jacket, black. They don't fit anymore, but I do like having them.

Right on!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What is this, the 80’s/early 90’s!?
Who wears jean jackets?
//
If it stinks that badly, its likely cheaply made. Return it. I know you said not to say that, but its what i would do.

I bought a jean jacket on clearance at LL Bean because I wanted to dress up as Anton Chigurh from "No Country For Old Men" for Halloween...would have been better if it had been black like the OPer's instead of blue, but it was good enough. Found a '20s flapper style black wig to approximate Chigurh's bizarre hairstyle and tied my arm up with a shirt sling as I couldn't find anything to replicate his portable captive bolt cattle slaughtering tool.
I really like the jacket because it reminds me of my youth, sometimes wear it in the house when I'm cold but haven't worn it outside yet because I want to keep it clean. I had a blue jean jacket with a giant "HOOKER HEADERS" patch across the back when I was about 11, but I got embarrassed severely when a group of nasty teens stopped me and asked me what headers were...they all laughed and called me a loser when I didn't know, I just thought it sounded cool. Pretty tough for a bunch of HS kids to pick on a grade school kid. I also had a Mister Twister hat I liked a lot as a kid and had no idea what the product was...

Sounds like this jacket needs a nice, long soak rather than just a wash. When I wash heavy jeans, it often doesn't feel like they get wet all the way through...I'd mix up a little detergent with some warm to hot water in a bucket and just let the jacket soak for a few days, then give it another run through the washer. A fabric softener sheet with a heavy powder scent in the dryer might help, too.
Does the jacket smell like dry cleaning fluid, BTW?

Smells like chemical. An inky haunting pencil lead graphite smell. Like simmering chemicals.

I bought a jean jacket on clearance at LL Bean because I wanted to dress up as Anton Chigurh from "No Country For Old Men" for Halloween...would have been better if it had been black like the OPer's instead of blue, but it was good enough. Found a '20s flapper style black wig to approximate Chigurh's bizarre hairstyle and tied my arm up with a shirt sling as I couldn't find anything to replicate his portable captive bolt cattle slaughtering tool.

I did not even realize his character used that as a weapon in that movie, will have to watch it again.
The very first time I've ever seen one of those used (both as a 'harvesting tool', AND then also as a close range to the head fatal weapon against a human) was in the movie "Brimstone".

I really like the jacket because it reminds me of my youth, sometimes wear it in the house when I'm cold but haven't worn it outside yet because I want to keep it clean. I had a blue jean jacket with a giant "HOOKER HEADERS" patch across the back when I was about 11

In high school (early 70s) I had a well faded Levi denim jacket with an NRPS (the early country rock/'alt-country' band, New Riders Of The Purple Sage) first album, desert scene cover art patch sewn on the back.
Even though it would not fit me now, I WISH I had held onto that one.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I still have a JC. PENNY PLAIN POCKETS jean jacket. And, a MEMBERS ONLY jacket, black. They don't fit anymore, but I do like having them.

Did anybody else have Sear Winner II sneakers in the '70s?
I had the brown toned ones and thought I was about as cool as The Fonz...

That extra stripe is all that kept them from getting sued for copyright infringement by adidas, as these were SL-72/Antelope ripoffs.
Even though later, a copyright judge determined that adidas could NOT keep BOTH the 3 stripes, AND their little 'trefoil' logo as exclusive property, they MUST choose ONE.
Most would say that stupidly, they chose the trfoil.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
That's the smell of sadness and disappointment because you're wearing a jean jacket in 2018

Notice how all the comments cutting me down fir wearing a jeanjacket are from northeastern states. As an amateur anthropologist I find this cultural trait amusing. And their fankness is refreshing.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I did not even realize his character used that as a weapon in that movie, will have to watch it again.
The very first time I've ever seen one of those used (both as a 'harvesting tool', AND then also as a close range to the head fatal weapon against a human) was in the movie "Brimstone".

Chigurh also uses it to blast locks apart...Llewelyn Moss is actually injured by part of the lock from his hotel room door hitting him as Anton comes after him. Sherf Bell and Deputy Wendell discuss the peculiarity of a lock's dismemberment as well as the lack of a bullet in the head of one of Chigurh's victims in some detail and Bell even tells Carla Jean Moss about cattle being slaughtered with a captive bolt, but fails to consciously make the connection to the locks and the murder.
In case you can't tell, I love this movie...I have probably watched it close to a dozen times and am still not sick of it. I resisted watching it for years because I thought the title was stupid, finally bought it for $5 at Walmart and was totally engrossed within a couple of minutes of putting it in the player. It also led me to start reading Cormac McCarthy's novels and I have read all of them now...I would recommend thinking twice before watching the "Child Of God" movie, though.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: Subdued
That's the smell of sadness and disappointment because you're wearing a jean jacket in 2018

Notice how all the comments cutting me down fir wearing a jeanjacket are from northeastern states. As an amateur anthropologist I find this cultural trait amusing. And their fankness is refreshing.

I am a Northeasterner who praised jean jackets here...but, to be honest, I am an Illinoisan by birth. Have to admit that I find the manners of many of my "new" neighbors quite facepalm worthy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back