Nissan Factory Filter, ~4800 miles, c&p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan FF made by Mahle in Japan, run about 5 months. Fiber endcaps relatively thick, lots of pleats, widest spacing at seam pleat shown in first pic. Nitrile adbv. Good center tube endcap seal at both ends, bypass end appears to use some type of adhesive to hold centertube to endcap, third pic from bottom. Last pic shows Nissan's unique crush washer, before and after. It's indexed to thread on to drain plug, index side towards plug. Filter looks much like the made in China Nissan filter I posted years ago.

Replaced with Napa Gold 7356 and thanks to a 'wemay' posting, some AAP Idemitsu 0w20 which worked out ~$.75/qt,, no rebate. Total cost of OC ~$8.

OE size is the 6607, but as normal lots of room for 7317 application even with the cover Nissan now uses. Never figured out why the 6607 chosen over 7317. Then again, same company that specs 0w20 and 5w30 in the OM, completely skipping a 5w20 recommendation.
crazy2.gif

Lastly, not my vehicle but 2017 base model Rogue S now in family extended stable so I will help maintain it when possible. When I picked up the crush washers, same parts guy working as last I was there when 03 Nissan 2.5L coded 0420 in 2011 and I posted it's death HERE . Naturally he didn't remember me, but when related story he still knew what 0420 meant. Must have felt a little sorry for me, gave me some crush washers.

Thanks for the cut and post!
In the last pic, you're holding a copper washer and a second washer. Do they both have to be used?
I've been using the same crushed copper washer (that came with the used car) for 62k now, but on the last oil change (last week), I noticed some oil had seeped past the washer/plug. I might have to buy a new washer LOL.

I have NEVER said this about a paper end cap filter, but that filter looks well built. If FRAM would put more into their paper end caps.......... nice filter Sayjac. Thanks for the C&P.

Yep, the newer Nissan filters are well-made. I've never had an issue with them.

Thanks for the C&P!

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
In the last pic, you're holding a copper washer and a second washer. Do they both have to be used?....

No. The one on the left is a brand new one, the one the right is the one that came off the drain plug, the used one.

On my 03 Altima, I don't believe I ever changed the crush washer. So unless the dealer did it with some of the complementary oil and filter changes, might not have been change the whole time. Never leaked.

For this one though, thought I'd at least try a new crush washer when I do it. For my vehicles, I don't change them every time, just occasionally.

Yeah BOF, I generally prefer metal endcaps too. But the endcap thickness combined with relatively tight uniform pleating, decent filter imo. Prefer silicone adbv, but the nitrile one on the oci still flexible.

To every one that posted thanks, you're welcome.

Nissan filters had better be well made, because they sure are tiny little things. It seems like even the v8 engines use the same size filters are the 4 cylinders.

Thanks!
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: zorobabel
In the last pic, you're holding a copper washer and a second washer. Do they both have to be used?....

No. The one on the left is a brand new one, the one the right is the one that came off the drain plug, the used one.

On my 03 Altima, I don't believe I ever changed the crush washer. So unless the dealer did it with some of the complementary oil and filter changes, might not have been change the whole time. Never leaked.

For this one though, thought I'd at least try a new crush washer when I do it. For my vehicles, I don't change them every time, just occasionally.

Yeah BOF, I generally prefer metal endcaps too. But the endcap thickness combined with relatively tight uniform pleating, decent filter imo. Prefer silicone adbv, but the nitrile one on the oci still flexible.

To every one that posted thanks, you're welcome.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Nissan filters had better be well made, because they sure are tiny little things. It seems like even the v8 engines use the same size filters are the 4 cylinders.

The size is not a good measure of quality.

Good quality looking filter! It's like an upgraded Fram EG design. ADBV seals to a protruding center tube, thicker end caps, even pleating.

Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

I remember those from when my parents had a Quest - the Nissan dealer always gave me a crush washer when I picked up a filter at the dealer. I got away with cheapie nylon washers from O'Reilly but I feel on a Nissan it's always good practice to replace those at every oil change or risk at the least a leak and at the most damaged threads.

^^^Nissan crush washers definitely unique ime. No mistaking when they've been used. And the fact that they screw onto the drain plug and designed to have notched side towards plug, flat side towards pan.

I'd never use a nylon drain plug gasket. Soft aluminum or copper that are not the thin "crush" type like the Nissan one can be reused basically forever.

Great photos, I am surprised to see cardboard endcaps (filter material) vs metal.
I mean, to be fair to other filters in this price range, some would trash the construction of this filter. Doesnt matter to me, just a thought.

^^^ Not uncommon to see fiber endcap (or no endcap) construction on Asian makes, both factory and oem. Honda use factory no endcap, fiber and no endcap oem. Subaru oem use fiber endcaps, Toyota no endcap. I prefer silicone adbv to nitrile. However, while I wouldn't go out of my way for it, overall fiber endcap construction of topic filter ok imo. If one wants metal endcaps in Nissan oem, the Gonher made in Mexico filter an option, it uses silicone adbv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back