Another one with fuel dilution... although I wonder about the excess Sodium

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine: 2L Turbo
Fuel octane: 87
Miles on vehicle: ~65,000
Miles on oil: 4,567
Oil type: Pennzoil Plantinum 5W-30
Oil capacity: 5 qts
Oil filter: Napa Gold Filter (new on this OCI)
Air filter: Frame (new on this OCI)
Lab: Oil Analyzers
Sample date: 3/14/2018

Code:

Iron 8

Chromium 0

Nickel 1

Aluminum 2

Copper 0

Lead 0

Tin 0

Cadmium 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 14

Sodium 83

Potassium 1

Titanium 1

Molybdenum 57

Antimony 0

Manganese 0

Lithium 0

Boron 44

Magnesium 461

Calcium 1180

Barium 0

Phosphorus 588

Zinc 662

Fuel dilution: 3.9% (GC)

Soot:
Water:

Vis@100C: 8.4

Base #: 2.24

Oxidation: 14 abs/cm

Nitration: 12 abs/0.1mm

Last edited:
Given that you have almost no potassium, doesn't look like you have coolant in your oil.
PP normally wouldn't have sodium in it, what oil did you use before that? Some oils like Royal Purple and Valvoline used to have sodium as part of their additive packs in the 5W30 grade before they introduced their dexos1 Gen 2 licensed oils and other grades like 10W30 might still have it.

This is my girlfriends car so I'm not sure what she used before.

For this next run I'm trying out Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30.

Last edited:
Fuel dilution is substantial and it dropped her squarely into the xW-20 range with a "Vis@100c of 8.4", but wear numbers are very good. I wouldn't worry about Sodium unless a trend was started with this UOA. If you see it in a couple other UOA where PP or M1 is used, look into it since those products use no Sodium in their add pack as mentioned by Virtus_Probi.

I have the same year and make vehicle. Never had a problem and love the power from the turbo 2.0.

Wear metals look good, unusual sodium but as previously mentioned it was most likely from a previous oil that used a sodium additive. Viscosity is in the mid 20 wt range and the fuel dilution is fairly high, but it didn't seem to affect the wear metals negatively. Your TBN seems a bit low for less than 5,000 miles but that may be the nature of your engine. I guess they don't test the oil's flash point. Our 2.3 EcoBoost with a similar mileage OC showed similar wear #'s using Motorcarft 5W-30 blend. Fuel dilution didn't show up but Blackstone's fuel measurements can be "dubious". However the flash point was good and so was the TBN of 3.6. But my viscosity was 7.82. Perhaps even with shearing and fuel dilution as long as you start with a quality 5W-30 you'll be ok. This may be why Hyundai recommends no more than 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: CincyGTS
Actually 84,932 miles. My sight is going. Getting old sucks

Nice! We have 98K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back