What kind of vehicle ramps do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Rhino ramps.
I have always found that ramps slip as I try to drive up on them.....does anybody have any tips to prevent the ramps from moving as your driving up them?

What kind of surface are you using the ramps on? Don't they have a rubber insert on the bottom to provide traction on slick floors?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I also have a pair of old metal Motomaster ramps from Canadian tire. I sprayed black bed liner on them to give the car traction while going up the ramp. They look real cool.
Those ramps scare me. Seen them collapse more than once.

I know what you mean and thanks for commenting. They are my extra set as I use my pine-o’s for oil changes. They are higher than the pine-os. They have a diagonal brace but just the same I put the jack stands up before I get under the car.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I have a pair of ramps made from Ring Baloney.

Good choice - they tend to be meatier than steel, plastic, or wooden ramps.

I have the 12K Rhino Ramps as well. Portable enough to use and store in my 1-car garage unit at my apartment complex.

Ramps are a pretty useful tool, especially if you fork of the money for something better. I've had Rhino ramps since they first came out like 20 years ago. The old steel ramps I had wouldn't work on any newer cars with wider tires, plus they were [censored]. Now I also have a set of 2-piece 65 inch long low approach angle Race Ramps that are feather light. Not cheap, but it sure is nice being able to get under the car right behind the front tires. Just make yourself a giant reminder to put the ramp extensions back on before backing down!

Last edited:

Sweet, you can eat a snack while you work

Originally Posted By: Number_35

Good choice - they tend to be meatier than steel, plastic, or wooden ramps.

Lol.... Good one.

Rhinos.
They work well and make oil changes a breeze.
I bought these back in 2010.
Prior to that I just drove one of the front wheels up on a piece of 2X8 and squirmed under.
This was okay to get to the oil filter on the two Accords we then had as long as you didn't mind having the driver's side towing eye poke you hard in the sternum.
I did this for one oil change on the old BMW, which I bought in 2010 and that was enough.
Bought a set of 12K Rhinos from AAP with a 40% off discount code and have been doing easy oil changes on a variety of our cars ever since.
You don't need to lift either of the Subarus in my sig to change the oil, of course.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Ramps are a pretty useful tool, especially if you fork of the money for something better. I've had Rhino ramps since they first came out like 20 years ago. The old steel ramps I had wouldn't work on any newer cars with wider tires, plus they were [censored]. Now I also have a set of 2-piece 65 inch long low approach angle Race Ramps that are feather light. Not cheap, but it sure is nice being able to get under the car right behind the front tires. Just make yourself a giant reminder to put the ramp extensions back on before backing down!

Another plug for Race Ramps, have the same model. In addition to the features mentioned, they have great traction and are wider and higher than Rhinos - which I still have. 2" higher may not seem like much, but with my long arms and decreased mobility and agility, they make a huge difference. Been wrenching for 50+ years, at 74 y.o., I figured I deserved and earned them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Pine-o … glued and screwed

OMG 4WD! I spit out my coffee! That is hilarious!
smile.gif

I also have a Rhino set, but i think mine are 8K? They are the set lower than the 12K anyway. I still use jack stands under the car after i drive up onto the ramps. Stay safe.

Nothing wrong with Pine-O Ramps if built right.
I don’t use treated lumber so the Gorilla glue sticks well and 3” deck screws holds it tight while glue sets.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. I was just appreciating the play on words.

Last edited:
I too have a set of the 12K plastic Rhino Ramps, had them for several years. Haven't been incident free however. At the time I still had my 2008 Jetta and apparently I was a little too throttle happy or too fast off the clutch because I overshot them. They both got caught in the wheel-well, luckily they weren't stuck. But in my panic I left the car in neutral and didn't apply the handbrake; my driveway was at a slight incline. Yea, after pulling the second ramp out I was chasing after the car...

As much as I hate to spend the money, I'm going to have to get a set of race ramps for the GTI. It's a little too low for it. I got it to work once, but it was sketchy going up.

Mine are made of half an oak railroad tie sliced at an angle with about 10" of flat on the end. Cut as deep as possible on each side with a circular saw, and finished the cut with a hand saw.

I have a pair of the 12K Rhino ramps that I use occasionally. I also have a set of Ultra-Ramps; yellow steel with a plastic ramp that attaches to the leading edge so any of my lower cars can clear the bumper. The "stop" of the Ulra-Ramps is higher and neither I nor my kids have never overrun the stop- unlike with the Rhinos.

I own a pair of Rhino ramps. 12k maybe? I park the heavy end of my Tundra and Sequoia on them without worry.

All of the failures of plastic ramps I have read about occurred with them being used on gravel. I use mine on my concrete driveway. I also carefully visually inspect them after driving up each time. I store them out of sunlight.

I use two concrete plinths approx 5ft long 1 ft breadth and height of 8inches..they give me enough height to get under my vw bus ..either reverse it on for back end work or forwards on for front end work(ideally longer plinths to have all four wheels up would but have to make do)..with granite blocks for chocks its stable,i considered actual ramps but the fear of a 1 ton vehicle coming down on me puts me off,any localised work around the wheels/wheel arch and driveshaft areas i use a trolley jack,axle stands and the granite blocks built up under any 'stop fall' areas..its all belt and braces for me working around or under wheels ..i also give the van a slight rock to see if its stable to make sure its safe .i tend to work alone so im methodical,somewhat over cautious and minimise any need for limbs and head to be stuck in awkward places during painting/welding whatever it might be whilst using axle stands etc

12,000# Rhino Ramps is what I use. I built the wooden extensions because my convertible in the foreground and my wife's car are too low to otherwise climb the ramps. My daily driver in the background doesn't have a problem climbing the bare ramps.

Be very cautions of the 8,000# Rhinos! Look at the absence of bottom side reinforcing ribs for the 8,000# Rhinos in the photo below.

19174.jpg

18364.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back