Southwest engine failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy mother !!!!
shocked.gif

"Uncontained failure" is the industry term. It's supposed to stay inside the engine's titanium (or other metals) shroud.

Sounds like the crew handled things well, landed quickly and safely. There will be an investigation into the engine and why it became uncontained...

Holy moly! I hope she's not injured too badly - nothing permanent!

With that said, if she has no permanent injuries (physically), then she'll likely make out like a bandit in a probable lawsuit. I hate it when jerks do things like spill hot coffee on themselves and sue establishments like McDonald's; however, our litigious society will hopefully ensure her full recompense!

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Don't sit next to window either..........

I only sit by the window, I might have to rethink that now..........

Wow, I hope that lady is ok. Can you imagine the forces and pressure when she was pulled into the window?

Originally Posted By: JLTD
"Uncontained failure" is the industry term. It's supposed to stay inside the engine's titanium (or other metals) shroud.

Sounds like the crew handled things well, landed quickly and safely. There will be an investigation into the engine and why it became uncontained...

I was about to say that as well - it looks like there is an uncontained failure, the fan case did let go. We can't speculate but the CFM56-7B engine used on the 737NG does use a titanium fan(the new LEAP engine on the MAX is carbon fiber like the GE90/NX). I wonder if one of the fan blades broke loose from the hub and had enough inertia to be hurled through the window? 2nd engine failure for WN in the last year too, there has to be root cause - either shoddy maintenance practice or something isn't caught at a shop visit.

And in an modern airliner, should the inner window pane be enough to hold together in the event of a outer window failure or the rapid decompression event that happened is enough to rip the Lexan inner pane from the fuselage as well?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Apparently she did not make it.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
My pilot friend won't fly Southwest cuz he says their maintenance is lacking...

Might have to re-think my plans also...

I don’t fly Southwest but in reality that could happen to any airline. Any travel has risks.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Apparently she did not make it.

Just saw the same thing...very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back