'Pump' for gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people's preference for those small, hand-operated pumps that are used for extracting oils or fluids from bottles such as gear oil ? There's the type that screws on to the bottle's threads and you pump like a soap or lotion dispenser or the other type that's similar to a bike air pump where the fluid is 'sucked' out of the bottle and then either pushed (or gravity-fed) out the other end.

Threads onto bottles
Gear oil pump

The soap dispenser type is pretty slow moving gear oil, and especially if its cold out, but if you warm up the oil its not too bad. Also unless you've got some big machinery, diffs and manual transmissions don't hold that much, so its not a big deal.

I used one I bought at Walmart when I changed my rear differential gear oil. It worked just fine. Sure beats trying to refill with a tube or funnel. Best of all, no mess. Didn't take long to pump a little less than two quarts.

I have one of those red fluid transfer pumps from HF for extracting transmission or power steering fluid and it gets the job done for extracting. But for filling axles and transmissions all I've ever used is a 3-4 ft piece of clear tubing and a little funnel.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I used one I bought at Walmart when I changed my rear differential gear oil. It worked just fine. Sure beats trying to refill with a tube or funnel. Best of all, no mess. Didn't take long to pump a little less than two quarts.

+1 at Walmart for less than $10

It would be for F/R differential and a transfer case. The soap-dispenser type says it will do (1) ounce per pump and the transfer case holds 2.5 pints. That's (40) pumps. The (2) diffs would need about (70) pumps. Sounds like the bicycle air pump type may be the better option....

Thanks for the comments

I bought one that screws onto the bottle but it doesn't fit any of my bottles. But I do have a grommet in the trunk I can remove, then snake my hose with a small funnel on the end to fill from the top.

I remember 40 years ago changing the differential fluid on our 70s Ford. I used a pump-style oil can to refill. It was slow but I got the job done. My hands were tired afterward.

The cars I work on now allow me to angle the gear oil bottle to squirt it in by gravity. I sometimes have to jack up the car with the wheels still on the ground to get the clearance.

These are 6 Oz a stroke … pulls fluid out of things and puts it in …

My G2 cover lets me use the bottles … but xfer case … power steering … front differential

Last edited:
I use a MityVac #6851 fluid extractor for removing/filling reservoirs. Capacity is about six ounces and extractor can be disassemble for cleaning. Repair parts are available.

I use the generic orange junk you can buy at harbor freight or anywhere.

The trick is to use your own nylon tubing that won't collapse or shoot out of the pump when pumping gear oil.

The suction guns from Harbor Freight work the best, I paid no more than about 7-$9 for one probably about 10 years ago. Much much faster than pumping for 150 strokes to fill a rear or front diff with those cheap plastic pumps.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
I use a MityVac #6851 fluid extractor for removing/filling reservoirs. Capacity is about six ounces and extractor can be disassemble for cleaning. Repair parts are available.

There is also a MityVac that extracts & distributes oil by just inverting a valve, can't remember the #. That would be my choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back