1992 Mercedes 300SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. A W140 has been something I have wanted to get for the past 10...15 years and yesterday everything clicked.

This is a 1992 300 SE with 3.2 litre R6 and 4 speed automatic transmission. Car has a bit under 190k miles on the clock. Previous owner has rebuilt the cylinder head and changed timing chain kit at the same time. In principle everything works but as he has been driving it very littke in the recent years it feels like it needs some highway miles to be even happier.

My usual plan is to change all fluids, filters, spark plugs etc. and go through brake system to see that nothing is stuck and so on.

Engine oil looks clean but probably has been changed last year. So far I do not know what the fill is but oil pressure cold and hot is good.

We usually do not have high mileage oils over here apart from Valvoline Maxlife. Owners manual does not even state Mercedes oil specification but - correct me if I'm wrong - I think it has been 229.1 in the early 90's.

Should I go with Maxlife or something else?

Transmission fluid spec I believe is Mercedes 236.1 but I need to verify that.

6nsKNU9.jpg

I’d go with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 and call it a day, forget Maxlife.
Not too sure of your ambiant temps...probably some 15W40 could be good too, but there’s no easily available good 15W40 in most parts of Europe...hence the SHU
smile.gif

Nice car!

Where has the time gone? That'll get antique plates here but still looks modern.

New cars look stupid mostly.

Thank you for the comments. I learned that previous owner had Mobil Super 5W40 in so I went as suggested with my favorite Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. Runs smooth as silk - which is nice.
smile.gif

We had to go under valve cover to do some minor maintenance work. Thought to snap a photo of the view at appr 190k miles. Current fill after Ultra is Maxlife 10W40.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back