Trying Shell V-Power

You'd probably have to talk to the guy who programmed the fueling of the individual car model, to find that out. [/quote]

Thanks. I understand now. You have explained why performance ("Tuner") cars require computer chip reprogramming to take advantage of higher octane fuels and the many engine modifications.

The 91 octane at Shell in Ontario is ethanol free, however so is Costco 91, and Costco is also Top Tier. If you are near a Costco gas station, their premium is usually priced less than the price of regular at Shell! For instance, I got premium at Costco in Stoney Creek yesterday morning for 128.9 per liter. Regular at Shell was 129.9.

the fuel trim will adjust the fuel air ratio which is related to ethanol and btu content as well at atmospheric oxygen. This is not the same as adjusting timing which is primarily related to knock. but all these variables and systems interact and all effect each other

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
All three grades at the Shell station nearest to me are ethanol free. I am a regular customer.

Then it would be the only Shell in the world that is. Only the 91 is ethanol free.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
the fuel trim will adjust the fuel air ratio which is related to ethanol and btu content as well at atmospheric oxygen. This is not the same as adjusting timing which is primarily related to knock. but all these variables and systems interact and all effect each other

You obviously have knowledge of how engine management computers are programmed and their capabilities. This has always been a black box subject for me.

So what is the effect (theoretically) of using higher octane fuel ? Reduced fuel/air ratio yielding better mpg ? More efficiency/power from the increase in fuel octane ?

Do you know what combination of sensors is used by the computer to adjust for a change in fuel octane ? Your comments would imply the mass air flow sensor, the inlet air temperature sensor (oxygen density) and possibly oxygen sensors.

Shell V-Power 91 did result in a noticeable improvement in both throttle response and acceleration. MPG was not evaluated because of more spirited driving than normal.

question for V Power users.
I have an M3 that has it in the tank, but has not been driven much in the last 9 months. How is the stability of Shell over other gasolines?

Shell V-Power 91 did result in a noticeable improvement in both throttle response and acceleration. MPG was not evaluated because of more spirited driving than normal.
I have also noticed this in our 2015 odyssey and 2015 mazda 6.
Huge difference in the Mazda 6.
I use 91 in the summer months and on road trips.

Back