M1 5W-30, 7500 miles, 2002 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Tacoma V6, recently supercharged and tuned with correct fuel mods.
UOA initially showed slightly high Fe and Al, we assumed it was wear-in and it would all wash out.
The latest UOA indicates even higher wear. I am planning on reduced OCI and looking into a friction modifier like Motorkote.
Thoughts?

I’d use an xW-40 oil in this application. Give M1 or Castrol 0W-40 a shot. Those are high numbers for a Toyota. Stay away from additives!

Stay away from Motorkote. Try Liqui Moly Ceratec or Archoil 9100. You could even try Redline Oil in 5w30 too. Try and check air filter. Get AEM Dryflow, Injen Nano, or Apexi Power Intake. No oiled filters!

I wouldn't throw any additive in just yet. Stick with the Mobil 1 but try 10w30 High Mileage for a 5,000 mile OCI. It's a more stout formula without going too heavy. I think it will help. Good luck.

I would guess this is the TRD supercharger? It would be wise to keep an eye out for extra cylinder heads on craigslist or Ebay. If you must keep it supercharged. The 5VZ is known to go through heads and the supercharger makes it even worse. I knew a guy who had a '97 tacoma, TRD supercharged since 40K and went through 4 sets of heads within 300K miles.

IIRC Trav had a similar issue with a worked Turbo engine tearing up oil and showing high wear numbers. I'd shoot him a PM if he doesn't see this thread and he can tell you what his fix was. A 5W30 PCMO didn't cut it for him either.

Running a K&N? Would help explain the silicon. You've also got some fuel dilution in the oil. Maybe step up to an xW-40 for a stronger add pack that will tolerate the dilution. M1 0w-40 has about 1,000 PPM of zinc and phos each, a fat dose of boron, and a whole lot of calcium to help deal with the blowby. Or even a nice HDEO would do. Track down the source of silicone first though.

You've got dirt ingestion from what the silicon number points to, and it is going up. This is causing your aluminum and iron wear most likely. I'd also step it up to a 0w-40 or 5w-40 HDEO. A 5w-30 PCMO may not be sufficient for stock engine + blower.

Hmm... I know guys like irv and a couple others always point to the M1 having higher numbers- maybe try the Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 that is spec'd for the Chryslers? Those cylinder loads are way higher than your Taco, plus you'd see if the whole M1 Fe thing has any merit.

But yes, most definitely you need to check air filtration. Go to a non-oiled fleece or paper filter and make sure there are no ingress points!

We seem to be missing information was the super charger added to the engine or the engine rebuilt and the super charger added?

I ran into this with a turbo 3800 engine the wear numbers were horrific, at first we changed to SRT 0w40, then Castrol 0w40 and now Castrol 10w50 SL rated synthetic MC oil which seems to be doing the best of any of them so far, in fact the wear numbers are good.
IMHO Fix the intake/filter issues and try the 10w50 MC oil, don't put any snake oil in it especially something with high chlorine levels like Motorkote.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

To answer a few questions:
- I've always used regular old paper air filters, changed them or cleaned them out fairly regularly. Not sure why the Si jumped up like it did. I will do some searching to see if there's a problem.
- I added the SC at 150k, it has always ran like a champ, and these motors are known to handle moderate levels of boost without any issues, especially with appropriate fuel mods.
- I don't beat on the truck, but I didn't put the SC on it for looks. It gets romped on occasionally.

Thanks for the tips on the Motorkote, I will forgo that until I find an oil that helps with wear numbers. I plan on jumping up to an xW-40, does it matter much whether it's 0W, 5W, or 15W? I am reading conflicting arguments on that point. I'm not concerned with fuel mileage or any of that, maximum protection is my goal.

Originally Posted By: OldPainless
I plan on jumping up to an xW-40, does it matter much whether it's 0W, 5W, or 15W? I am reading conflicting arguments on that point. I'm not concerned with fuel mileage or any of that, maximum protection is my goal.

Go for dual rated HDEO CJ4/SM 15W40 ... or PCMO with A3B3/B4 if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back