Oil recommendation for 2.0L Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we bought an used 2016 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine a few weeks ago and this is my first DI or Turbo vehicle I have owned. The owner's manual calls for 5w30 that meets Ford specification WSS-M2C946-A. I was just going to run the Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w30, but my local WM and AAP only carry the Motorcraft synthetic blend. I also plan to go by the OLM for my change intervals and will use the Motorcraft FL-910S filter until the warranty expires. Thanks

welcome2.gif

Use any full synthetic 5w30
smile.gif

although 10W30's are rarely used any more for those in a warmer climate its a better choice of a better oil!!

Interesting but true.

Pennzoil does not make available HTHS of their oils.... For that motor... Give me 3.2 HTHS or higher or possibly Castrol Magnatec 5w30 which gas proven itself to be very good in direct injection motors. Two other oils which I know the high temp high shear ratings of are Valvoline Advanced full synthetic is 3.2 or Mobil Super Synthetic which is 3.3 HTHS. I'd rather have those above one that 3.0 or 2.9 HTHS in there.

Last edited:
Ecoboost is known to be extremely hard on oil. My main recommendation would be to change it often.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Pennzoil does not make available HTHS of their oils.... For that motor... Give me 3.2 HTHS or higher or possibly Castrol Magnatec 5w30 which gas proven itself to be very good in direct injection motors. Two other oils which I know the high temp high shear ratings of are Valvoline Advanced full synthetic is 3.2 or Mobil Super Synthetic which is 3.3 HTHS. I'd rather have those above one that 3.0 or 2.9 HTHS in there.

If it's out of warranty or one doesn't care, and it were me, I'd be using an E6 5w-30 in there.

I would use a 5W30 that meets the Ford spec as well as GM's dexos1 Gen 2 for its LSPI test...for example, the Valvoline 5W30 FS that I am running now meets both specs and has a high HTHS for a GF5/SN oil as bbhero has already mentioned. Probably not a fantastic super cold weather (meaning -25F and below) performer based upon Valvoline's data sheet, but you probably don't care about that in Kentucky.
Once SN Plus oils become commonplace, dexos1 Gen 2 won't be a big deal...right now, d1G2 is the only standard that tests for LSPI in DIT engines like Ecoboosts.

Originally Posted By: SilverZ71
So we bought an used 2016 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine a few weeks ago and this is my first DI or Turbo vehicle I have owned. The owner's manual calls for 5w30 that meets Ford specification WSS-M2C946-A. I was just going to run the Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w30, but my local WM and AAP only carry the Motorcraft synthetic blend. I also plan to go by the OLM for my change intervals and will use the Motorcraft FL-910S filter until the warranty expires. Thanks

I had a 14 Focus ST. Ran the MC synblend and MC filter, 5k OCI and never had any issues.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I would use a 5W30 that meets the Ford spec as well as GM's dexos1 Gen 2 for its LSPI test...for example, the Valvoline 5W30 FS that I am running now meets both specs and has a high HTHS for a GF5/SN oil as bbhero has already mentioned. Probably not a fantastic super cold weather (meaning -25F and below) performer based upon Valvoline's data sheet, but you probably don't care about that in Kentucky.
Once SN Plus oils become commonplace, dexos1 Gen 2 won't be a big deal...right now, d1G2 is the only standard that tests for LSPI in DIT engines like Ecoboosts.

I lied here, dexos2 also has an LSPI test.

Which is why I will run the (Dexos 2 rated, 0.8 SA, 6.2 NOACK, but yes, one of the 'thicker' 5W-30s @ a 3.7 HTHSV) Ravenol REP 5W-30 for this summer's OCI, IF their D1G2 DXG 5W-30 is not available here VERY soon.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Which is why I will run the (Dexos 2 rated, 0.8 SA, 6.2 NOACK, but yes, one of the 'thicker' 5W-30s @ a 3.7 HTHSV) Ravenol REP 5W-30 for this summer's OCI, IF their D1G2 DXG 5W-30 is not available here VERY soon.
wink.gif

You are a great source for info about Ravenol oils! I, too, would love to see that DXG d1G2 in the US soon...learned the hard way that it is apparently not available yet.
M1 5W30 ESP is another high HTHS (3.58), low NOACK loss (~6%) dexos2 5W30, but its SA is way down at 0.6%...that Ravenol REP is likely to have a higher starting TBN, making it a safer choice for US gas that could have higher sulfur than in Europe.

Thanks for the recommendations and discussion everyone. I had to look up what some of the acronyms meant, but I think I'm going to use the Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif

You are a great source for info about Ravenol oils! I, too, would love to see that DXG d1G2 in the US soon...learned the hard way that it is apparently not available yet.
M1 5W30 ESP is another high HTHS (3.58), low NOACK loss (~6%) dexos2 5W30, but its SA is way down at 0.6%...that Ravenol REP is likely to have a higher starting TBN, making it a safer choice for US gas that could have higher sulfur than in Europe.

I was going to try the M1 5W-30 ESP, but it was about the same price on the Carquest or NAPA shelves with tax (or anywhere else that stocks it OR online) as the Ravenol REP is shipped to my door (obviously, that flavor M1 is NOT an on the shelf at Sino-Mart oil!).
It's starting TBN is about where most of the Red Line 'street' oils are, 8.1, not anything to write home about, but decent for something labeled a "racing" oil.
I figure that the high HTHSV will help with any fuel dilution, and any tiny bit of hot summer use shearing which could happen with a hard driven (I might even get around to doing an SCCA Track Night In America event), power dense EcoBoost 1.6 (it IS a PAO/POE base stock blend, just like the DXG).

I spoke with the Ravenol rep at Blauparts today, and he told me that the DXG is still ~8-14 weeks out from their loading dock, so I'm glad that the REP and the MTF-2 I ordered on their 17% off tax day deal will arrive here tomorrow.

He also mentioned that A LOT of people were calling about the D1G2 DXG (maybe you were one of them?), so that is what motivated them to drop the price on their old stock Dexos 1 DXG, and start the ordering on the new D1G2 stuff.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back