Starbucks or such

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two favorite coffees,Peet's French Roast ($9 a bag) and Starbucks French Roast ($6 a bag). Both are absolutely heavenly! They're both really strong and sweet,the way I like it. I like to compare it to beer. Folders,Maxwell House,etc are like the Bud Light of coffees,whereas Peet's and Starbucks are the Guinness of Coffees.

Bud Light
sick.gif

Guinness
20.gif

I think Stabbucks is all about being seen as wealthy and trendy.
My daughter likes Dunks better, but she likes to go to Stabbucks to see friends and enjoy the social scene. Stabbucks doesn't have a dozen old folks monopolizing the table space like Dunks. She told me that anybody who opened a Stabbucks near her school would make a killing as students who are not from New England refuse to go to Dunks.
Also seems like the employees at Dunks tend to be high school kids, very old, or maybe on work release. Stabbucks has a lot of people who look like they're maybe just out of college and couldn't find a better job with the BA in history, literature, or Mayan languages.

I only purchase coffee if I need it at Dunkins, Starbucks mostly on convience when out and my coffee mug of self made empty. The prices are about the same. I try smaller coffee shops but typically not around a lot in my travels.

This sums up Dunks:

Friends/Family give me gift cards from coffee stores such as Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Tim Horton's. But, I prefer Speed Way Gas Station. At our local locations it's .89 cents for any size up to 24 oz. and it's good! My favorite is my own brewed at home and I often bring a sealed mug on the road with me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Friends/Family give me gift cards from coffee stores such as Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Tim Horton's. But, I prefer Speed Way Gas Station. At our local locations it's .89 cents for any size up to 24 oz. and it's good! My favorite is my own brewed at home and I often bring a sealed mug on the road with me.

Me too

These coffee places suck in beautiful California. They are all filled with various groups of homeless people. They use the Wi-Fi at Starbucks and McDonalds on their non activated phones. I like Starbucks best but I brew it at home.

8 O'Clock for me!

Either pour over, French press, or keurig basket if I'm pressed for time.

If I'm out and need a refill, it's Mickey D's for me!

If your’re Canadian, it’s Timmie’s (Tim Horton’s), basically Regular or Dark Roast. Decent price plus you can use their discount card. Would someone with a Masters of History be caught there? Ask the Premier of British Columbia.

Cumberland Farms here is $.99 cents for any size and I can make it the way I like it. Dunks never gets my coffee right and bucks just cost too much.

Used to be a bit of a guilty (because its overpriced) treat at grading time, when my suffering was the justification.

University is out in the sticks and Starbucks Freeway Service area is handy without much local competition, but the last twice was very weak coffee in a paper cup.

'Avin a larf at those prices, so no more Starbucks for me.

Making coffee at home is almost always going to be cheaper... that said, if I'm out and spending the money, Starbucks is usually my first choice. IMO, the coffee quality is better, they offer bold options, and service is generally better. A medium, 16 oz, coffee is $2-3 depending on location.

DD is weak and leaves an aftertaste, Cumberland Farms is actually pretty good for the money and Wawa is around their have a GREAT selection and the coffee is good.

So in my limited experience: Starbucks>Wawa>Cumberland Farms>DD

Went to Charbucks the other day for a change (I usually brew Eight 'O Clock at home - original or 100% Colombian - $10 at Walmart for a large bag of beans or ground). $2.50 for a "tall", and it had at least double the caffeine to what I'm used to. No wonder folks get addicted. I was so high on caffeine I couldn't focus.

I used to like Charbucks better when you went in and they had a choice of 2 or 3 different blends, on-tap. I don't care for the "Pike's Place" blend, which is all they seem to have on tap anymore.

DD is over priced swill, so is Tim Horton's. The best coffee in my area is a gas /conv store chain, Cumberland Farms.99 cents for a large. blended and poured by me.My brother turned me onto to a Mobil station, that offers great coffee for 1.50 for a large, fresh and strong.DD's main attraction is their clean restrooms.
But I generally leave the house with a 1 1/2 qts of store brand French roast/ vanilla blend cooled over night to room temp.Black and strong.

I don't understand the love for Dunkin Donuts coffee....I've tried it MANY times, all across the country, and it's always the same: Hot, dark, water with virtually no taste.

I like my coffee strong and flavorful. Starbucks is good, but I just HATE the price. When I do go there, I get a Venti latte with 2 extra shots (so 4 shots total). But it's like $6. So I don't get it very often.

I brew my own coffee at home and take a 40-60 ounces with me to work. We have a local roaster and I buy his beans. $22 for a 2 pound bag. I grind them in a cheap and small Kitchen Aid food processor thingy and brew in my Bunn coffee maker. I have a Yeti and an RTIC thermos.

On the weekends, my wife and I enjoy our stove-top Moka Pot with Illy Moka coffee. I brew 6 ounces in my pot, mix it with 6 ounces of steamed whole milk....it's REALLY good.

I agree that most of the chain coffee shops have substandard flavored coffee. Most of the boutique shops have great coffee but, it's $7-$8 a cup!!!
I can always make better at home on the cheap. Friends/family who visit & come over for coffee often ask,

"what brand of coffee do you buy Char Baby"?

I just tell'em that I buy the cheapest one at the store and just add more to the basket when I am brewing. I don't measure like they do, I add by eye.

They scoop the coffee with the tiny scooper and level it off with their finger...maybe twice!

For me, when it looks like there is enough in the basket, that's when there is enough! They always rave about my coffee and though I don't tell them, I don't care for their's. Too weak. Throw some coffee in the basket for Goodness sake!

How do people get to $7 for a cup of coffee?

Now for the adult milkshakes many of these places sell, I see the price getting up there.

My Grande Italian Roast in the Clover machine at the StarBucks my daughter works is $3 before I get any family discount. If I just get the daily dark roast or the Pike's Place, it's $2 I'm paying an extra $1 to have someone make an individually brewed cup of coffee.

People cite the high prices, but aren't comparing apples to apples. Most of the $5+ drinks are Lattes, Frapps, and other, as I call them, "Adult Milkshakes"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back