New Supertech 9688 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

plf

Did an oil change on wife’s 2010 Honda CR-V and new blue can filer would not fit , old supertech 9688 has fit for last 8 years. The new ones are wider/shorter than old ones . Anyone else have this problem or know which model I should be using . Thanks

Yeah, the new 9688 is fat like Fram's 9688 and 3593 filters.

Fram's own PH9688 is fat. The Wix 51334 is also fat.

The only ST that will fit is the shorty 6607, which is too small. Pay the extra dollar for the orange can PH7317, which now uses a silicone ADBV
smile.gif

Thank you. Will do my homework next time , just thought same model would fit even though designed changed. Glad I had a few extra white can filters for they also fit my KIA optima

Good advice, will look to make the switch and will try the Fram and Maybe a carquest from advance auto. It’s to bad have been using supertechs for years on many cars and never had issues

Yeah slacktide is right on. That Fram orange with the new ADBV is a good choice indeed.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
What is a new blue can filler? OEM? My Montero uses the 9688. Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Supertech filters are now made by Champ Labs, and are now a dark blue instead of the Wix made that were white.

Originally Posted By: plf
Good advice, will look to make the switch and will try the Fram and Maybe a carquest from advance auto. It’s to bad have been using supertechs for years on many cars and never had issues

The CQ filters are no good. They are reboxed Purolators. The CQ Red is a Classic, while the CQ Blue is a P1. Both have tearing issues, and the size your Honda takes is the worst in terms of tearing.

Get the Fram PH7317 from Walmart
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: plf
Did an oil change on wife’s 2010 Honda CR-V and new blue can filer would not fit , old supertech 9688 has fit for last 8 years.......

That's because the 'new' Champ made 9688/3593a is a 'true' 9688/3593a application, not a downsized one like the Wix made for WM ST9688. The latter was really a 7317 application size filter, which is the spec size for a 2010 CRV.

Not sure how the '8 year' figure was determined. The Wix made for WM ST including the 9688 was only around for couple years starting in ~2016 after replacing the Puro Classic on the shelves. Before that Champ made ST, was iirc the same as current ST9688.

In any case, that's why the current ST 9688 won't fit 2010CRV. And, as there's no current ST7317 application you would have to use the shorty ST6607 if you chose to use a Super Tech filter now.

Sayjac good call. Should have been more specific 8 years including when supertech filters came in the black can. Miss those puro classics as well

I have a similar confusion. I have a ST9688 on my shelf - not sure when I bought it (box says 2016). The filter is white and I don't recall which of my cars (2000 Civic or 2003 CR-V) I thought I was buying it for.

It looks like the Purolator 14610 (old ST/Fram 7317) I normally put on my CR-V but the guide in the store says 9688 is for the Civic (which I usually use a Purolator 14459 /3593A on). As mentioned above, the guide says to use ST6607 on the CR-V.

Since it's white, does it mean it's an old one and it goes on the CR-V? Or either car?

Originally Posted By: Marvin
I have a similar confusion. I have a ST9688 on my shelf - not sure when I bought it (box says 2016). The filter is white and I don't recall which of my cars (2000 Civic or 2003 CR-V) I thought I was buying it for.

It looks like the Purolator 14610 (old ST/Fram 7317) I normally put on my CR-V but the guide in the store says 9688 is for the Civic (which I usually use a Purolator 14459 /3593A on). As mentioned above, the guide says to use ST6607 on the CR-V.

Since it's white, does it mean it's an old one and it goes on the CR-V? Or either car?

welcome2.gif

The white one will go on either car with no problems
smile.gif

But my choice would be to use at least the orange can Frams, which now feature a silicone ADBV

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Marvin

welcome2.gif

The white one will go on either car with no problems
smile.gif

But my choice would be to use at least the orange can Frams, which now feature a silicone ADBV

Thanks! (First post but I've been following the forum for quite a while)

I always thought Fram was not well regarded around here.

That has changed Marvin due to Fram making a tremendously good filter in the Ultra. Then they raised the quality on the orange cans has well. I say way to go Fram!! Building up success upon success by doing things in a very consistent and smart way. That is how people's minds can be changed. I have run a while bunch of Fram filters and they have been very good. Going back to 2001. The Ultra made me very happy not to have fool with the oil filter but every other time. That was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back