Is it Ethical to market oils past 20k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the movement of the market towards DI Turbo's and other engines that are much more susceptible to contamination, is it ethical to be marketing annual protection type oils that promise very long OCI's considering damage may occur in many of the vehicles if people believe that interval? User Beware? The eco boost max interval is 7500 and the "Intelligent" OLM or IOLM actually can move someone lower then that Max oci of 7500. What good is having a 20-25k oil if the manu wants that oil changed at 7500 and down? Is the 25k mile interval a bigger myth then the 3k mile interval?

I don't see all that much difference in an unsuspecting consumer falling for the labeling on a bottle of M1 Annual Protection vs. believing it necessary to follow the 3K/3 month numbers on the sticker Valvoline Instant Oil Change puts on the windshield of their 4 cyl. Accord.

Any company that market's oil change intervals beyond fairly 'normal' mileage (for the sake of this post, let's say 10,000 miles and higher) will dictate - typically in their fine print - what conditions they base this on. They will also have done research, testing, etc that makes their claim valid, based on certain conditions. It's fine by me....

We have covered this … most cars on the road are not under warranty … just Google average age of vehicles on the road …only one in my signature under warranty

Mobil selected DI and TDI cars for testing …

we have users going 10k on cheap dino …
Guy just posted 17k on Mobil 1 AFE … that’s not EP or AP …

Horses for courses.
With my PI NA '12 Accord as I use it, 10-12K would be table limits per the IOLM but a much longer drain interval might well be possible with an oil sufficiently able to avoid shear and oxidation for that interval.
The problems many associate with oil in TGDI engines have nothing to do with the oil used and everything to do with the design and PCM tuning as delivered.
There is no question of ethics in OCI recommendations, there is only the condition of the oil after its been run for a given interval. Most punters aren't going to do their own changes anyway and those who do usually have some grasp of what's likely to work as well as what isn't wrt OCIs, oil used and the engine it's used in as well as how that engine is used.

There is a discrepancy what the vehicle manufacturer wants versus the oil manufacturers. Ford lowered the oci from the 7500 on it's older vehicles to 5k miles, vehicles that are long out or warranty- pre 2008. I don't doubt the condition of the oil, but the condition of the detergents, and it seams vehicle manu's are thinking along the same lines.

Ford recommends 5k mile interval on old vehicles, 7500 on new ones.

Originally Posted By: burla
With the movement of the market towards DI Turbo's and other engines that are much more susceptible to contamination, is it ethical to be marketing annual protection type oils that promise very long OCI's considering damage may occur in many of the vehicles if people believe that interval? User Beware?

It really depends on the application, of course. Note that one does have to exhibit caution. Now, if an oil company wants to advertise an oil for 20,000 mile intervals under all circumstances and stand behind that, all the power to them. Of course, it's not easy for the average consumer to understand their OCIs and what's involved with the specifications called for in their vehicle, much less the variety available on the market.

A 25,000 mile interval is certainly attainable with the right application, right oil, right sump capacity, and right driving conditions. One size fits all is problematic, though.

I find it interesting there has been so much said about the 20k and one year … when thousands of users (like me) run M1 EP for half of it’s 15k potential … I’m paying $5 more to use in an expensive SUV …

The other part I find interesting is that AP is not selling … so not much to worry about to start with …
At some price I might buy AP = but not for running 20k …

The big numbers are mainly Amsoil … guys with bypass filters just keep on keeping on …
So what’s the limit? TBN? 30 cut to 20? That’s even been challenged here...

I posted that CBC Marketplace OCI vid on here a few weeks ago. Normies are reading BITOG or buying more long oci euro cars. The info is leaking into the public consciousness because everyone is skeptical of the auto repair industry because they pull garbage like a 3k OCI on a car that sees 95% highway miles.

Here in Toronto, long distance commuting has increased with housing prices. More and more people are not only driving more highway miles, but also trying to cut commuting costs. Needlessly short OCIs on a car that is going see easy highway miles could probably save you a lot if you really racked up the miles.

Ethics in marketing
crackmeup2.gif

There is a discrepancy what the vehicle manufacturer wants versus the oil manufacturers. Ford lowered the oci from the 7500 on it's older vehicles to 5k miles, vehicles that are long out or warranty- pre 2008. I don't doubt the condition of the oil, but the condition of the detergents, and it seams vehicle manu's are thinking along the same lines.

Ford recommends 5k mile interval on old vehicles, 7500 on new ones.

Has there been a UOA showing a depleted detergent package?

Low TBN, sure.

Low flash point and/or excessive fuel dilution, sure.

Viscosity shearing down out of grade, sure.

Amsoil has been marketing its oil since around 1972 for 25,000 mils or 1 year and around that time Mobil ! was a 25,000 mile one year oil as well. Als Neo and All Proof were high mile oils as well

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I find it interesting there has been so much said about the 20k and one year … when thousands of users (like me) run M1 EP for half of it’s 15k potential … I’m paying $5 more to use in an expensive SUV …

The other part I find interesting is that AP is not selling … so not much to worry about to start with …
At some price I might buy AP = but not for running 20k …

The big numbers are mainly Amsoil … guys with bypass filters just keep on keeping on …
Ep is not a better oil for the 5 dollars it just is marketed to last longer.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Yes, there is precedent, and it certainly has the potential to be done safely. Of course, as you point out, many people are buying M1 EP, AP, Amsoil SS, and so forth without really extending their OCIs. And, some have extended OCIs by nature of the vehicle and an A3/B4 oil with a European OEM spec.

I don’t like the marketing. But there’s for more unethical marketing in this world to be worried about.

Ethics and oil company marketing.
If there ever was an oxi moron (the ethics in oil marketing, not the author of the post).
Bullseye oxi moron.
Personally I would never run past 10k.
Not due to oil,but the oil filter quality/ limitations.
Cheap materials, filtering capabilities.
A lot of oil filters are not built for that type of use.

Is the 25k mile interval a bigger myth then the 3k mile interval?

I would say no because 3k is a lot more prevalent. A lot of people don't even trust the manufacturer when they say 10k or 15k.

Mobil1 also advertises 20k or 1 year. If you don't drive a lot you will reach 1 year before 20k. If you drive a lot, chances are you're doing highway miles which are easier on the engine, and you will reach 20k before you reach a year.

I have yet to come across someone who ruined an engine due to purposely running long OCIs. 10k to 20k oil changes are also the norm in other parts of the world. So I don't think it's a myth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back