Underdrive Pulleys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you want to under drive your accessories?

Do you race the truck?

The drawback is reduced cooling system and alternator effectiveness if your truck is idling in the heat...which would be common in FL, wouldn't it?

If you live in Florida and pull a trailer, I do not recommended installing one. You need to sell that F150 with it's 4.6 V8
and get something much quicker like a Chevy or GMC with a 6.0L V8 or an F150 with a Ecoboost 3.5.

Aluminum is not a great pulley material for poly v belts. Steel is considerably longer lasting.

If you are removing a harmonic damper and installing an underdrive pulley, consider that some engines have crankshaft vibration related failures.

One common failure that happens when a harmonic damper is removed, is the crank driven oil pump gears can shatter.

If you need more power, sell this truck and buy one with a 5.4.

No tuner, pulley, exhaust, or intake will make enough difference in your case.

Honestly, you will be unhappy with the results of any of the above. They won't fix what's wrong with your truck: the 4.6

Did you ever change your axle ratio? That's how you get bolt-on power for cheap.

This is an epic waste of money on a truck. If this was an old 5.0L that you were drag racing and needed to shave a 10th or 2, sure, underdrives and an E-fan all day long. Plus gears, aluminum driveshaft, icing the intake....etc. But on a DD truck? why are we continuing to try and chase the mole hair in the hay field? You already know what makes sense, we've discussed it many times now.

This truck must be a race car by now with all the mods done to it.

Let's see a 0-60 video!

lol this guy looking for big power from simple bolt ons.

Better off shopping for a used HD truck preferably an F250 6.2 gasser.

Underdrive pulleys were a waste of money on my 5.0 Mustang in 1990 and they're still a waste of money now; the only "benefit" you may see is higher coolant temps at idle in Florida.

Those reviews on the sellers website saying that you can feel the difference are nonsense. Other poster who said change rearend ratio is spot on but: gotta set them up correctly so they're not noisy/wear prone and make sure your drive shaft is balanced well enough for the increased highway revs.

The aluminum pulleys are the better choice, of course, because they are shiny. I might also assume that they are lower mass than the steel pulleys. Race car.

I agree with the rear end ratio change as the best solution. Had a co-worker want to put a blower on his 5.3 Chevy pick up. He took my advice and scraped the blower idea, after the 4:10s went in the difference was profound. Cost him a lot less than a blower.

I'd go BBK on them. People have noticed differences with them. If you're blasting an after market radio or the air conditioning, you'll notice it negatively.

I'm in agreement that to really wake up that engine, a new ring and pinion and a tune are the best option.

It's so funny how all I do is ask a simple question,and I get so much negative comments. So funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back