Called Chevron Lubetech about CS- moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
A farm and fleet store in my area (Runnings) has Chevron Supreme on sale for $2.19 a quart, so I decided to use it in the Buick. I had a couple questions about the oil (regarding the GM6094M spec that was absent from the bottle), so I called the Chevron Techline, and the guy I talked to was pretty helpful. When I asked about the warranty, he said that they stand behind their products and that they have a guarantee, though it's rare that it gets used. He told me that Chevron supreme would be fine year round in my climate (5w30) and explained the 5/10W30 rating. He seemed to know what was going on. He recommended changing generally in the 3-5 k range but said to go with the manufacturer recommendation. When I asked him what the difference between CS and Havoline was, he said it was just that the Havoline had more moly. I finished by asking about the oil in general, and he said that it is a "quality, premium product" and that they hear good things about it from people, again, no surprise. But they were generally helpful and friendly and I was glad to have called. Just thought I'd share this info with you all.

(On that note, I got really great service from Mobil's customer service too.)

Originally Posted By: TmanP
A farm and fleet store in my area (Runnings) has Chevron Supreme on sale for $2.19 a quart, so I decided to use it in the Buick. I had a couple questions about the oil (regarding the GM6094M spec that was absent from the bottle), so I called the Chevron Techline, and the guy I talked to was pretty helpful. When I asked about the warranty, he said that they stand behind their products and that they have a guarantee, though it's rare that it gets used. He told me that Chevron supreme would be fine year round in my climate (5w30) and explained the 5/10W30 rating. He seemed to know what was going on. He recommended changing generally in the 3-5 k range but said to go with the manufacturer recommendation. When I asked him what the difference between CS and Havoline was, he said it was just that the Havoline had more moly. I finished by asking about the oil in general, and he said that it is a "quality, premium product" and that they hear good things about it from people, again, no surprise. But they were generally helpful and friendly and I was glad to have called. Just thought I'd share this info with you all.

(On that note, I got really great service from Mobil's customer service too.)

Curious, why didn't you choose the HAVOLINE over the CHEVRON? MOLY is a great additive to have for your engines internal moving parts. Was the HAVOLINE more expensive?
I used to use CS back in the early 2K's. My dad had his own heavy equipment operating business and used CHEVRON lubricants exclusively. They make great products.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I thought Chevron Supreme had loads of moly?
Interesting-PQIA's testing shows CS 5W20 with 142 PPM moly, Havoline 5W20 with 44 PPM, the exact opposite!

OT: the SL version of Havoline had boat loads of moly, assuming the boats were transporting moly.

At the time (2005) it was the conventional darling of BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back