RIP Art Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
I loved listening to the show, but it spawned much of the conspiracy nuttiness that society is suffering from today. For example, I like how none of the disasters that were predicted on the show ever happened. Like Y2K. One of my favorite moments was when Art asked, in the way that only Art could, what Major Ed Dames saw in the upcoming Y2K catastrophe (remember, when the power was going to go out, your car wouldn't start and planes were going to fall from the sky). Sounding very grim, Major Ed says..."Art, I don't think were going to make it to the year 2000."

The problem with Y2K is that nothing happened PRECISELY because people were alarmed about it.

Had the issue not been identified, and actions not been taken, then yes, the power would have gone out (at least in my state)...the issue was real, the issue got worked on, and nothing big happened as a result.

The logical fallacy that nothing happened ergo there was no issue is flawed.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I loved listening to the show, but it spawned much of the conspiracy nuttiness that society is suffering from today. For example, I like how none of the disasters that were predicted on the show ever happened. Like Y2K. One of my favorite moments was when Art asked, in the way that only Art could, what Major Ed Dames saw in the upcoming Y2K catastrophe (remember, when the power was going to go out, your car wouldn't start and planes were going to fall from the sky). Sounding very grim, Major Ed says..."Art, I don't think were going to make it to the year 2000."

The problem with Y2K is that nothing happened PRECISELY because people were alarmed about it.

Had the issue not been identified, and actions not been taken, then yes, the power would have gone out (at least in my state)...the issue was real, the issue got worked on, and nothing big happened as a result.

I guess it depends on the timing of that show. It might be one thing to say that 5 years before it happened, but if it was a few months or less than a year, then it was pure nuttiness as I was in the industry at the time and we were working on it 2 years before it happened, even a year before it happened, most stuff had already been tested and weaknesses identified. I remember even being around on New Years, nothing happened, but we got a nice bonus.

What happened was that the Y2K computer bug, a real issue, had been co-opted by people with apocalyptic religious beliefs. The power was going to go off and it might not come back on...ever. Society was going to break down so get a year's supply of food and be ready to hide out in your bunker because this was the beginning of the "end times." In other words, it was really the Book of Revelations with a 21st century twist.

The point I was trying to make was this was just one of the many disasters that one guest or another predicted. Ed Dames predicted the world was going to get fried by a massive solar flare. Lori Toye predicted the western US under water. Planet X was coming back to our solar system. Those are just three off of the top of my head. There were others. The world is still here.

What happened was that the Y2K computer bug, a real issue, had been co-opted by people with apocalyptic religious beliefs. The power was going to go off and it might not come back on...ever. Society was going to break down so get a year's supply of food and be ready to hide out in your bunker because this was the beginning of the "end times." In other words, it was really the Book of Revelations with a 21st century twist.

The point I was trying to make was this was just one of the many disasters that one guest or another predicted. Ed Dames predicted the world was going to get fried by a massive solar flare. Lori Toye predicted the western US under water. Planet X was coming back to our solar system. Those are just three off of the top of my head. There were others. The world is still here.

OK, point taken, and agreed.

What about Al Gore's predictions? Those baseless nutty predictions actually effect us every day. Art Bell was entertainment.

Some people are just wired to hunker-down. Must go back to neandertal times. Nothing wrong with being a little prepared-- the modern infrastructure that gets food to our fridge (and everything else) is pretty jury-rigged on the back-end. The mind needs a goal in mind- real or imaginary. We have time to daydream and work out "what-if" scenarios.

There are holes in the typical belief though-- what about the "zombies"? They'll be your friends and family that know you're a "prepper". Is your spouse going to let them in?

What about a weather event that inconveniences you for a week-- are you going to tap into your dry lentil soup, your barrels of fuel and generator, or save that for the "real 2nd coming"?

Then if when you're wrong, are you going to be remembered as that unhelpful jerk in your social circle?

The pieces that I heard over the years were good.

His were the best years of Coast to Coast. As everyone here knows, I am a skeptic, but that didn't mean that I didn't have a good time back in the day listening to Art Bell late, late at night. No matter how skeptical I am, I like a good yarn. I always admired his patience with all the guests and callers, no matter how far off the beaten path, as it were.

I just heard about Art Bell's death this morning. I often get insomnia and used to listen to him probably 2-3 nights per week on average as I always sleep with a radio on all night, because I have tinnitus and can not get to sleep in total silence. I did not like all of his guests and he had a little too much UFO and ghost shows on to suit me. I did like his shows about nutrition and finances and government. He was interesting to listen to and he let the viewer decide whether or not to believe his guests. Since Bell quit and George Noory took over I hardly ever listen to it anymore. I often will listen on Saturday nights on KFAB Omaha when they have "Art Bell Back in time shows on from about 8 to midnight most Saturdays. Nothing wrong with Noory, but just my personal pref I tend to like Art's voice better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back