Recommend a home safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone use a home safe? I'm looking at getting one recently to store a couple pistols, jewellery, documents, ETC. I saw one in a store at 1.24 cubic feet that looked like an OK size, but wouldn't be opposed to larger. The issue I'm having is even $200 models seem to have negative reviews regarding the locking mechanisms... which isn't good for a safe. The other thing I don't like about some of them is the exposed hinge on the outside. Not trying to keep the hulk out, but again if I'm spending some money on it might as well get a decent one.

Can anyone recommend a nice, quality home safe... maybe max price $500? I don't mind if its combo lock or keypad. As long as its reliable. The other nice to have would be fire protection.

I see Costco has a couple "cannon" brand safes. any experience with those?

Honestly, get a locking file cabinet. Thieves are in and out quickly and likely won't be able to drag a heavy and bulky filing cabinet out with them.

Either that or get a giant gun safe and bolt it to the floor. Filing cabinet is the cost-effective way to go.

You probably need to be in the $500.00 price point to get a decent one. I bought a Sentry and the cheap plastic battery keypads fail after a year or 2. Next got a first alert and same thing, finally bought a Liberty safe with mechanical and key lock (no batteries) from a locksmith shop and it works great of course ot was about $550.00 and that was 6-7 years ago. The Cheap less that $200 Sentry and First alert that are sold at Wal Mart and Sams are going to fail and then you end up paying a locksmith $50-75 to get them open.Like most things you get what you pay for. I wasted about $400 trying First alert and Sentry before I finally bought a quality safe. I should have went with Liberty in the first place.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
You probably need to be in the $500.00 price point to get a decent one. I bought a Sentry and the cheap plastic battery keypads fail after a year or 2. Next got a first alert and same thing, finally bought a Liberty safe with mechanical and key lock (no batteries) from a locksmith shop and it works great of course ot was about $550.00 and that was 6-7 years ago. The Cheap less that $200 Sentry and First alert that are sold at Wal Mart and Sams are going to fail and then you end up paying a locksmith $50-75 to get them open.Like most things you get what you pay for. I wasted about $400 trying First alert and Sentry before I finally bought a quality safe. I should have went with Liberty in the first place.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of! I was looking at the keypad sentry units for around $200. Hmm looks like ***** sporting has a couple liberty models but they all seem to have the E-lock keypad.

Gun safes are really not that difficult to get into the front of the safe yes that's difficult but a professional thief will just cut the this steel on the top sides or back of the safe the steel on most gun safes is thin. The more money you spend on a quality safe the longer it takes for a thief to get into it esp if it's a quality company. Whatever safe you get bolt it to the floor! the best thing to do is bolt the safe to the floor in a corner of a home. If you can afford it buy a safe that has thick steel on the sides back and top of the safe. Do research on line and on YouTube.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Gun safes are really not that difficult to get into the front of the safe yes that's difficult but a professional thief will just cut the this steel on the top sides or back of the safe the steel on most gun safes is thin. The more money you spend on a quality safe the longer it takes for a thief to get into it esp if it's a quality company. Whatever safe you get bolt it to the floor! the best thing to do is bolt the safe to the floor in a corner of a home. If you can afford it buy a safe that has thick steel on the sides back and top of the safe. Do research on line and on YouTube.

I agree it probably only slows most down. The main idea of getting one is to keep anyone in the house (guests or otherwise) away from the "toys" and to hopefully add a little fire protection. It would probably be bolted down and hidden somewhere in a closet or basement.

Anything new in that price range is going to be worthless garbage.

Find ALL the lock and safe stores in your area and visit them all.

I was just looking at a commercial quality safe that would work perfect for what you want a few weeks ago. Priced at $400. A used business safe that must have cost several thousand dollars when new.

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Safe-Cabinet-Co...MAAOSwIJlaOoVp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meilink-Gibralter-Fire-Safe-w-Combination-27-x30-x37-046-2003-Security/162997574619?hash=item25f3699bdb:g:p0kAAOSwydpa0RTf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosler-safe-heavy-duty-fireproof/253396180721?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50999%26meid%3D9f4ebbef0ddd4e2c9b6e87e2e03a7c74%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D272990928667%26itm%3D253396180721&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAFE/323155922154?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50999%26meid%3D9f4ebbef0ddd4e2c9b6e87e2e03a7c74%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D272990928667%26itm%3D323155922154&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Some times a good locksmith shop will have a sale on Liberty or other brands (not sentry or First alert) Best to avoid those plastic battery keypads and go with key only safe or mechanical only. Pretty much can only get them from a locksmith and they do have consumer grade safes that are mechanical only.Liberty is one brand but there are others. locksmiths do not usually sell Sentry or First alert, but they certainly have to open a lot of them because of keypad failure.A quality safe is going to be heavy mine is about 180 lbs and no fun to move so I don't, we keep it in a closet corner.

Personally I would avoid anything with a digital keypad. I've had one go bad on a Liberty that ended up being a pain in the rear. The new safe I bought from a local safe maker. It only has a key entry and also has a higher fire rating. I would check locally first to see if any of them have used ones. Mine was new at the time but they do have them used from time to time. They have a trade in program and give you 100% of what you paid at the time towards a new safe.

I've had the one form Sam's for 12 years, works for me.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/sentry-ef3428e-3-4-cf-business-fire-safe/prod2210577.ip?xid=plp:product:1:4:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back