Motomaster oil stabilizer & thin oils damage, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian Tire has decided to get back into the oil and gas additives game big-time. They used to market oil treatments, but stopped for a while, and have again decided they are profitable.

The most recent ones out are direct Lucas Oil clones - they have a upper-cylinder lubricant just like the Lucas product; and they also have a couple of Lucas-like oil stabilizers.

What caught my attention is the claim on their synthetic oil stabilizer:

"Helps eliminate noise and wear associated with lightweight motor oils"

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-synthetic-oil-stabilizer-946-ml-0380067p.html#srp

See? Thin oils ARE bad for engines, and CT can help fix that!

So, you buy the lightweight oil and their stabilizer instead of just buying heavier oil.

Makes total sense to me! Although I prefer the idea of buying 20W50 and thinning it out with MMO to save money...

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I wonder how long before they get a cease and desist letter from the oil company attorneys?

Those oil companies are making the snake oil for them...

I wonder if it is synthetic oil stabilizer or syntetic oil stabilizer. I'm going to bet it is the latter, and is just 50w dino oil as opposed to a TBN additive or something of that nature.

Dude, this product exists to silence beaters during the test drive/auction. Why else would you want to "stabilize" your oil?

EDIT: Could we get the MSDS for this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Canadian Tire has decided to get back into the oil and gas additives game big-time. They used to market oil treatments, but stopped for a while, and have again decided they are profitable.

The most recent ones out are direct Lucas Oil clones - they have a upper-cylinder lubricant just like the Lucas product; and they also have a couple of Lucas-like oil stabilizers.

What caught my attention is the claim on their synthetic oil stabilizer:

"Helps eliminate noise and wear associated with lightweight motor oils"

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-synthetic-oil-stabilizer-946-ml-0380067p.html#srp

See? Thin oils ARE bad for engines, and CT can help fix that!

hallelujah! CT has put this thin/thick oil topic to rest. Finally!!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy

We should all write them letters (well emails, I guess) and suggest to them if Motomaster oil is so unstable, it would be better to try a different brand instead of a band aid fix from the original brand. Canadian Tire does have a few useful additives on the shelf, but as it is, they're already surrounded by garbage that no one needs. A few PEA products, a ZDDP additive or two, and potentially a solvent flush for those who are willing to take the chance, and maybe the appropriate Rislone additive, would pretty much cover any eventuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back