Jet Ski oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Kawasaki Ultra LX Jet Ski (naturally aspirated) and I need to change the oil soon, the manual stated oil requirements are-
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke JET
SKI® Watercraft Oil*
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke
Semi-Synthetic Oil*
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke Full
Synthetic Oil*
or other 4-stroke oils with API SG,
SH, SJ, SL, SM and JASO MA, MA1,
MA2 rating
Viscosity: SAE10W-40

I have a bunch of Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 Full Synthetic left over from a truck that I got rid of and i was wondering if I would be able to use this oil in my JetSki? If not any recommendation other than the Kawasaki branded oil?

Thanks in advance!

its the 1400cc engine, same as in the motorcycles i believe. So mix Rotella t6 and this 1/2 and 1/2 and that would work?

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
15w40 T4 and mix one quart of yours in each time would be a good brew.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 + 1 qt T4 Rotella 15W-40 does sounds like a good brew for this. Maybe even 50/50

This would be my choice because of the increased levels of anti-corrosion, anti-rust additives:

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2133.pdf

Quote:
Excellent Anti-Rust Performance
Good rust protection is not natural to motor oil; it comes only by design. AMSOIL
3YNTHETIC-ARINE%NGINE/ILISFORTIlEDWITHPOTENTINHIBITORSTHATGUARDAGAINST
damaging rust and corrosion. It protects engines during use and during inactivity or
long-term storage.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
15w40 T4 and mix one quart of yours in each time would be a good brew.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 + 1 qt T4 Rotella 15W-40 does sounds like a good brew for this. Maybe even 50/50

Plus you can buy T4 by the pail. (Don’t pay attention to this Canadian price.)

Thank you all! I'll grab some rotella an mix it in! Just looking for a use for this expensive oil that I no longer need!

Originally Posted By: mrnkc130
I have a 2017 Kawasaki Ultra LX Jet Ski (naturally aspirated) and I need to change the oil soon, the manual stated oil requirements are-
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke JET
SKI® Watercraft Oil*
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke
Semi-Synthetic Oil*
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke Full
Synthetic Oil*
or other 4-stroke oils with API SG,
SH, SJ, SL, SM and JASO MA, MA1,
MA2 rating
Viscosity: SAE10W-40

I have a bunch of Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 Full Synthetic left over from a truck that I got rid of and i was wondering if I would be able to use this oil in my JetSki? If not any recommendation other than the Kawasaki branded oil?

Thanks in advance!

I would use the Penzoil 0W40 over any T6 in a N/A watercraft engine. You dont have a wet clutch like a motorcycle. You dont need the detergents in T6, as these engine never get sludged, and often have under 100 hours. You dont need the zero weight from the Penz, but it will do no harm, a watercraft engine gets no more moisture in the oil than the average car. Unless you regularly submerge it under water...I use Castrol 0W40 in my 155HP Seadoo and T6 in GTR because of the wet clutch supercharger

Last edited:
It's a 1500cc engine. And it's a peach of a motor!

mrnkc130- is the oil filter impossible to see on your Ultra, like it is on my 15f? I haven't changed it myself (extended warranty concludes this August), but I'm pretty sure lotsa folks remove the center storage tray to reach it more easily...

Run the 0w40 without mixing it. I have had Kawasaki jetskis with the 1500 for many years and I run Mobil 0w40, PP 0w40, Mobil turbo truck 5w40, Castrol 5w40 - they all are fine. I run these hard and trade them in every 5 years and they purr like the day I bought them at the end.

Sorry i haven't logged in for a little while.

Yes the oil filter looks a little difficult to get to, I haven't changed it yet and I don't think i will on the first oil change. I'll probably try putting a plastic bag around it.
I just bought a place at the lake and i've been moving everything out there, I plan on changing the oil before taking it out for the first time this season. It only has 21 hours on it but its been in the sump since new which is well over a year now and i'd feel better changing it. I don't really run it all that hard and always make sure its been running for 5-8 min before going wide open on it or anything.
The maintenance procedure I'm most concerned about is lubing the bearings on the impeller, I haven't found anything online explaining how to do it and its already past the recommended time to do that....then again it doesn't stay in the water when not being used so it may not be as critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back