Ford 6.0 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Walmart and they had 12 Shell branded oil filters for the Ford 6.0 diesel. I bought 4 of them as they had them marked down to $4.50 a piece. Who makes these and are they any good. Thought I would try them for that price. I just missed getting 4 Pennzoil 1.25 gal 0w-40 full syn jugs for $7.00 a piece. Watched the guy in front of me take all 4 of them.

Did the patent expire on them? You aren't supposed to use anything but the motorcraft filter on that engine. You've been warned.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You aren't supposed to use anything but the motorcraft filter on that engine.
Bill Hewitt at powerstrokehelp.com agrees with you.

Its mixed, I've seen some of the Rotella filters with all the identical RACOR branding on them and I've seen some that did not. Its a [censored] shoot...

Before installing, I'd put one up for comparison side by side to an OEM ford (Racor) and see if all is identical. If not, you don't want to use it in a 6.0!

Did the patent expire on them? You aren't supposed to use anything but the motorcraft filter on that engine. You've been warned.

Ford sure uses quite the diesel engines, don't they. You can't use an aftermarket filter, even made by the same people that make the OEM. You can't use a modern oil.

Fram used to also be ok (same OEM) but can't say if still the case. Either way, when I had my 6.0 I did enough research to be convinced not to try unknown filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back