How to get the smell of death out of garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been storing a chest freezer for my dad in my detached garage that quit working. Needless to say what was in it went very very bad and now my garage smells terrible. How can I get that smell out ? I’ve removed the freezer and scrubbed the mess left behind on the floor with bleach.

Try vinegar. The compounds that result from rotting flesh are usually putrescine and cadaverine, two really odiferous amine compounds. An acid like vinegar will convert them to more odorless salts. However, you have to have a way to get rid of the wash liquid.

What I would do, is ask someone with a disaster recovery firm, such as ServPro or ServiceMaster... who come in and clean up homes and offices after floods, fires, septic backups, etc.

They likely have something that will do it... possibly an enzyme cleaner. They have to deal with this all the time.

Omaha recently demolished a house that had been in foreclosure with the power turned off. A freezer full of rotting meat in garage produced such a toxic environment in neighborhood that city concluded the only thing to do was to demolish the place. City recently settled for $$$$ after legal action by owners.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
What I would do, is ask someone with a disaster recovery firm, such as ServPro or ServiceMaster... who come in and clean up homes and offices after floods, fires, septic backups, etc.

They likely have something that will do it... possibly an enzyme cleaner. They have to deal with this all the time.

Those companies are scammers unless you need someone to clean up a murder scene. The contracts they make you sign for a price estimate require that you give them the job and they bill your insurance company for way more than the actual job costs.

negative ion generator $65.00 will take the odor out. This is what restoration companies use. Please read about them. Used one in a crawl space was inside the home and could feel the effects of o3 within a few minutes so if the garage is attached i would turn the generator on let it run for a few hours with people and pet's removed, when returning open the house up and let it and the garage air out for 20-30 minutes. It worked wonders for my stinky crawlspace.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an Ozone generator on Ebay. So far took away urine odor in furniture and mildew odor in garage. It has paid for itself many times over. It is the powerful enough you are supposed to leave the area while it is on. It is like this one.

Ozone Generator

Fitter30, looks like we have same idea and yours is a better price.

I also used in an old car to remove odors. You can freshen up just about anything.

BurningGarage.jpg

Originally Posted By: Fitter30
negative ion generator $65.00 will take the odor out. This is what restoration companies use. Please read about them. Used one in a crawl space was inside the home and could feel the effects of o3 within a few minutes so if the garage is attached i would turn the generator on let it run for a few hours with people and pet's removed, when returning open the house up and let it and the garage air out for 20-30 minutes. It worked wonders for my stinky crawlspace.

This is correct. I used an O3 (ozone) generator in a musty crawl space and it worked well.

Let it run for several hours with pets and people elsewhere, then ventilate well before entering.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Those companies are scammers unless you need someone to clean up a murder scene. The contracts they make you sign for a price estimate require that you give them the job and they bill your insurance company for way more than the actual job costs.

Maybe where you live, they are. Here, ServPro is a legitimate operation. My Dad is a municipal building inspector, and he's had to re-inspect buildings/homes after they've done their work (be it after a flood, sanitary backup or fire), to re-issue the certificate of occupancy, and authorize that the utilities be reconnected.

There is a liquid called OdorXit that is sold online. It helped me with an unreal cat urine problem in an animal hoarder eviction home.

Thanks for the suggestions. Went home and poured a little vinegar on the floor. It smells 1000 times better after just a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back