Can you use TranSynd (TES 295 rated) in a 6L80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming due for a filter and fluid change on my 2012 Sierra 1500 4x4, 5.3, 6L80. I read where it's used in the allison transmissions, but aren't the Allisons factory filled with Dexron VI, same as my 6L80? So reverse math would indicate that both fluids could be used in either application...right?

No need to be nasty. A lot of people switch to a lighter grade of engine oil than the manual recommends, and The Dexron 6 / TranSynd thing had me wondering. No big deal.

Whoops. Didn’t mean to come across as being mean. Sorry for that.
smile.gif
Plus I now now realize you are a fellow Canuck. If the TransSynd thing doesn’t work out you can also jazz up the Dexron VI by going to full Synthetic. Canadian tire has this. (Pic attached). You should also be able to find brand names of full synthetic. Good luck!

My local NAPA has full synthetic Dexron VI from Irving/Coastal Blending, and can get me Pennzoil as well if I want it.

Any ideas on the quantity when you do a pan drop, drain and refill, with a filter change? And If I recall correctly, the pan has a drain plug on it, doesn't it?

With the "Constant slip TCC calibration"......Stay with a Dexron VI!!! I have tried Transynd on 6L80E units & it caused some TCC shudder/chatter with stock calibrations.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I thought the Allisons in the pickups aren't actual Allison medium duty transmissions, just a name

The Allison 1000 found in GM light duty P/U's & the Allison 2000 found in Medium Duty Trucks are almost identical!

The Bellhousing & Torque Converter are specific to the GM trucks, And the Allison 1000 has a Parking Pawl that the 2000 does not.

The P3 gear ratio on a Allison 2000 can be different for different applications (Wide Ratio & Close Ratio), All Allison 1000's are Close Ratio.

While TranSynd is an awesome fluid...not so much for GM xLxx transmissions. The Allison in the pickups is filled with Dex VI for simplicity's sake and because that's what it gets tested with. MANY Allison equipped pickups get switched over to TranSynd by their owners.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
While TranSynd is an awesome fluid...not so much for GM xLxx transmissions. The Allison in the pickups is filled with Dex VI for simplicity's sake and because that's what it gets tested with. MANY Allison equipped pickups get switched over to TranSynd by their owners.

Transynd works great in the 4 speed autos, In fact I'm running it in my 4L80E.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: PiperOne

Transynd works great in the 4 speed autos, In fact I'm running it in my 4L80E.

Same here! 445,000kms on the original tranny and counting! I’ve had Torque Drive in mine since 265,000kms.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I thought the Allisons in the pickups aren't actual Allison medium duty transmissions, just a name

The Allison 1000 found in GM light duty P/U's & the Allison 2000 found in Medium Duty Trucks are almost identical!

The Bellhousing & Torque Converter are specific to the GM trucks, And the Allison 1000 has a Parking Pawl that the 2000 does not.

The P3 gear ratio on a Allison 2000 can be different for different applications (Wide Ratio & Close Ratio), All Allison 1000's are Close Ratio.

I didn't know that - of course a Allison 2000 series will be bolted to a non-GM engine. Does this mean some of the internals are common or it's like the 3000/4000 series transmissions that are physically larger?

Originally Posted By: nthach

I didn't know that - of course a Allison 2000 series will be bolted to a non-GM engine. Does this mean some of the internals are common or it's like the 3000/4000 series transmissions that are physically larger?

Same physical size on 1000/2000 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back