East Penn (Deka) Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw another post dealing with Deka batteries and I have a question. Is Oreilly's Superstart and Sams Duracell batteries the same as a Deka made by East Penn? I am assuming Deka
is the "A" grade and I think that sometimes when companies make products for other outside companies they make them to their specs which may not be the same quality as the "in house" brand batteries.
To put this another way, are Superstart and Duracell the same as Deka? Same specs for the same size battery?

most likely.. they make batteries and put tons of labels on the same battery.

They dont tweak each battery for each brand.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
To put this another way, are Superstart and Duracell the same as Deka? Same specs for the same size battery?

Gebo, the O'Reilly SuperStart comes in 3 grades. The top of the line "SuperStart Extreme" & the Duracell battery in Group 24F has 725 CCA and 890 CA. These are the same ratings for the 24F Deka Ultimate maintenance free top of the line series. East Penn-Deka also has a mid-grade and an economy line. It appears they just re-label the batteries for the aftermarket based upon the contract's specs.

I think it's regional. I work at an O'Something here inthe SF Bay Area, CA and almost all of our Super Starts are Johnson Controls. A few are Dekas. You can tell by if the model number ends in J. If so, it's made by Johnson, if not, it's Deka.

Last edited:
There is a Johnson Control factory here in Kentucky.
Johnson Control manufactures quite a few different brands of batteries.
I don’t know specific brands they make. They make everything from car batteries to Tractor trailer batteries.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Originally Posted By: Gebo

Gebo, the O'Reilly SuperStart comes in 3 grades. The top of the line "SuperStart Extreme" & the Duracell battery in Group 24F has 725 CCA and 890 CA. These are the same ratings for the 24F Deka Ultimate maintenance free top of the line series. East Penn-Deka also has a mid-grade and an economy line. It appears they just re-label the batteries for the aftermarket based upon the contract's specs.

Thank You!

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I think it's regional. I work at an O'Something here inthe SF Bay Area, CA and almost all of our Super Starts are Johnson Controls. A few are Dekas. You can tell by if the model number ends in J. If so, it's made by Johnson, if not, it's Deka.

Great to know. Thanks!

Exact same specs Gebo. In fact the batteries at Federated Auto are the exact same as well. Example: group 24F battery 725 CCA and 120 minutes reserve capacity for all those batteries whether it be O Reilly's, Napa, Batteries Plus aka Duracell or Federated Auto... However... Price at O Reilly's for a group 24F battery is now $170.. and yet at Federated Auto the same exact group 24F is $99... Big difference there.

Wow! Federated looks great. Their poor website and inability to search for ptoducts hurts them. I never check them when i go looking for parts.

Ohh yeah I totally agree 100%. The website is dreadful. Not doubt about that.

If you have a Federated Auto parts store near you it may well be a Fisher Auto parts store. I have several west of me in the Richmond area. I like the drive out that way so I just stop by the store just south of Richmond while I out that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fordman65

I don’t know specific brands they make. They make everything from car batteries to Tractor trailer batteries.

They used to make the batteries for Powerwheels back in the 80s. Maybe they still do, doubt it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back