NEW Jean Jacket ..... SMELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new black Wrangler Jean Jacket. Obviously all new products smell of sizing and dye.. however....

I washed it and it still smells BAD ... like the black dye. ( no need to tell me to return it ).

I am CURIOUS... anybody know what or why thes smell is?

And a far second... other than washing again and again... how to get rid of it.

What is this, the 80’s/early 90’s!?

Who wears jean jackets?

//

If it stinks that badly, its likely cheaply made. Return it. I know you said not to say that, but its what i would do.

A lot of products from China are treated with formaldehyde to protect the fabric in shipping.
Where was the jacket made?
Just keep washing Dory, just keep washing.....

I got rid of a gasoline smell by using citris cleaner in the washer - nothing else was working. (my wife was out of bleach and thought that the bleach bottle on the snowmobile trailer between the sleds must contain bleach. it actually contained gasoline. I suppose we both own part of that problem. but nothing else was getting rid of the smell - I thought we would be buying a new washer. tried the citris.....)

what detergent do you use? if you havent tried it use tide. dissolve the tide using hot water to get it started then switch to whatever water temp you desire.. try soak then your wash cycle.

1/4 cup baking soda, in wash cycle, with the detergent.

Fabric softener in the rinse cycle...

All PowerCore tough odor does a good job on cat urine...

Last edited:
I have had two items that came with a smell that I did mind and could not initially get rid of. One was a vest I bought for a very good price on e-bay, the other a leather briefcase I got for free when I purchased something else. I did try washing the vest but it did not work. I hung both items up in my garage for a couple of years and the combinations of the summer heat, and all the air it gets eventually did away with the smell.

So if all else fails and you do not want to return it, hang it up in your garage if you have one and let time do its thing.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Who wears jean jackets?

//

If it stinks that badly, its likely cheaply made. Return it. I know you said not to say that, but its what i would do.

I still have a JC. PENNY PLAIN POCKETS jean jacket. And, a MEMBERS ONLY jacket, black. They don't fit anymore, but I do like having them.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Who wears jean jackets?

//

I still have a JC. PENNY PLAIN POCKETS jean jacket. And, a MEMBERS ONLY jacket, black. They don't fit anymore, but I do like having them.

Another thing, if I really start digging I bet I can find an old pair of PARACHUTE pants.
grin.gif

The baking soda trick works. So does a 1/2 cup of lemon juice.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
A lot of products from China are treated with formaldehyde to protect the fabric in shipping.
Where was the jacket made?
Just keep washing Dory, just keep washing.....

Protect the fabric from getting moldy if in humid shipping containers?

I have a Guess jean jacket and a Hollister jean jacket. Both smell like fresh cotton. Is the Wrangler one you have 100% cotton?

Re the mold question: Yes, manufacturers don't know where their good will be held up.
Furniture is sprayed with a headache making chemical for that reason.

How very funny that I just yesterday unearthed a black denim jacket (Lee) which was business SWAG (Stuff We All Get) from my sister's company.

Who wears jean jackets?
//

I bought a jean jacket on clearance at LL Bean because I wanted to dress up as Anton Chigurh from "No Country For Old Men" for Halloween...would have been better if it had been black like the OPer's instead of blue, but it was good enough. Found a '20s flapper style black wig to approximate Chigurh's bizarre hairstyle and tied my arm up with a shirt sling as I couldn't find anything to replicate his portable captive bolt cattle slaughtering tool.
I really like the jacket because it reminds me of my youth, sometimes wear it in the house when I'm cold but haven't worn it outside yet because I want to keep it clean. I had a blue jean jacket with a giant "HOOKER HEADERS" patch across the back when I was about 11, but I got embarrassed severely when a group of nasty teens stopped me and asked me what headers were...they all laughed and called me a loser when I didn't know, I just thought it sounded cool. Pretty tough for a bunch of HS kids to pick on a grade school kid. I also had a Mister Twister hat I liked a lot as a kid and had no idea what the product was...

Sounds like this jacket needs a nice, long soak rather than just a wash. When I wash heavy jeans, it often doesn't feel like they get wet all the way through...I'd mix up a little detergent with some warm to hot water in a bucket and just let the jacket soak for a few days, then give it another run through the washer. A fabric softener sheet with a heavy powder scent in the dryer might help, too.
Does the jacket smell like dry cleaning fluid, BTW?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Did anybody else have Sear Winner II sneakers in the '70s?
I had the brown toned ones and thought I was about as cool as The Fonz...

I have a 30 yr old Levi jacket that is well worn and very comfy.
I don't care if it out of style.The rest of me is older too.

I also wore a bunch of Chuck Taylors and similar knockoffs, but I didn't know they were Chuck Taylors at the time. I got high tops whenever I could.
Chuck Taylors made a comeback and my daughter had to get a pair when she was in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back