Need suggestions for a gear oil that has clutches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious if anyone could make a suggestion for me. There is this machine that has a gear box that is driven by a 3ph motor. The gear box itself has standard cut gears and its selectable for range speeds. There’s also a DC electromagnetic clutch pack and engages and disengages for the final drive. RPMS are relatively low. Bushings/Bearings are all bronze.

I don’t have any details on the manufacturer of the gear box, as it is a French made 1970's milling machine that has very little to no technical support. What little documentation is a torn and tattered machine equipment brochure and 1/4 of the electrical schematics, in French.

It does not get hot, it will get "warm" but nothing near hot. Slightly above room temp and that’s if its running for hours and its not. It gets switched on and runs for 30 seconds to a minute then cuts off. on an "as needed" basis.

Any suggestions?

It's French built, but branded Cincinnati Toolmaster. which normally would be a blessing because Cincy TM's are all over the place and well supported. But Milicron made this abomination of 3hp 40 taper VS monster with a powered 56" table! Metric hardware on the entire machine, but imperial screws and dials!

Either GL-4, which is thick, (50 weight oil)
Or Dexron III, which is thin. (10 weight oil)

How much do you need?

sounds like you dont want anything resembling automotive gear oil.

I'd find a similar type of machine and use whats recommended there.. its probably some obsolete fluid you cant find anyway.

Originally Posted By: Rand
sounds like you dont want anything resembling automotive gear oil.

I'd find a similar type of machine and use whats recommended there.. its probably some obsolete fluid you cant find anyway.

As for similar, the best I can do is hearsay from someone who used to have one of these machines, but he's not sure if it was the same model. His was a French made Cincinnati Milacron. Just from memory he couldn't state the specific oil for the gear box but remembers it was very light viscosity, maybe as light as 10W?

I just came here hoping I'd run into someone who deals with more technical questions daily on the industrial side of oil.

I would try a 20wt or 30wt non-detergent oil...but if it never gets warm as you say.. thinner should be fine.

But that is just a guess of course.

Originally Posted By: fnbrowning
But Milicron made this abomination of 3hp 40 taper VS monster with a powered 56" table! Metric hardware on the entire machine, but imperial screws and dials!

So is it 0.200" per turn on the table handle or something metric???

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
From that description it seems an ATF would fit the bill, Maxlife.

Check. Relatively low viscosity, normally used with gears and internal clutches, widely available.

And relatively cheap

Last edited:
Here's the P-55
129689d1423277378-oil-cincinnati-2mi-vertical-column-head-gearbox-oils.jpg

Thanks to all; I believe I have the answer I need.
Thanks also to Imp4 for going afield to find and post copies of the manual and lube page.

Goodnight all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back