Fully synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been making this stuff forever for high performance motorcycles. Very highly regarded by folks in the know. if you want to spend the money to get the best.

Last edited:
They make great oils. This oil has a lot of ZDDP, so it is not recommended for engines with catalytic converters. What is your application? Amsoil will surely have an oil for your application and is on the same quality level as Maxima. You can find an Amsoil oil that doesn’t have too much ZDDP.

They have 0w10... that means the formula is legit.
lol.gif

the NOT recommended for street use prolly due to few detergents and dispersants is likely an xcellent oil, they have a semi-synthetic with an advertised 50% ester in it for street use and less $$$

Originally Posted By: old1
WOW, 0w10? suppose one of these days cars will be wanting to use that?

It's not a real grade.

Originally Posted By: Overkill
It's not a real grade.

While you're technically correct, 0w10 is a commonly marketed product within the racing industry. See the link below to Summit Racing and you will see 0w10 oils offered by Royal Purple, Redline, Joe Gibbs, Lucas, and Maxima amongst others.

I think it's a little misleading to ding Maxima for offering a non-SAE grade when straight 10 weights are commonly marketed this way to a very narrow racing only market.

Summit Racing link to 0w10 offerings

BTW there's enough ZDDP in that stuff to curl your toes and your nose hair simultaneously.

Keep away from catalytic converters!!!

Originally Posted By: Imp4
It's not a real grade.

While you're technically correct, 0w10 is a commonly marketed product within the racing industry. See the link below to Summit Racing and you will see 0w10 oils offered by Royal Purple, Redline, Joe Gibbs, Lucas, and Maxima amongst others.
I think it's a little misleading to ding Maxima for offering a non-SAE grade when straight 10 weights are commonly marketed this way to a very narrow racing only market.

Without three letters in front of those numbers it isn't a legit grade, only someone's imagination.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Without three letters in front of those numbers it isn't a legit grade, only someone's imagination.

I agree with you completely.

My comment was meant to highlight the fact that it is not just Maxima that does this.
It is commonly done by many of the major players in that very narrow racing market.
So if someone were to ding Maxima for it, then there is probably a reasonable discussion to be had about all the other companies that do the exact same thing.

Last edited:
I lifted this from the Redline marketing dept:

Quote:
Although Red Line racing oils are categorized as "straight grades," their low-temperature properties make them exceptional multi-grades. They allow 2-4 percent more power than oils of similar viscosity, while providing much more protection. Each reduction in viscosity grade allows for 1-2 percent more power.

So maybe this is one of those cases where there isn't a very good technically justified mechanism to describe the product's viscosity and performance. But at the same time if their target customer understands what they're getting and it really does prevent power losses like they claim, then everybody is happy.

And nobody cares that it's 'not real'.

It's not a real grade.

I ding them all equally
wink.gif
Making up grades is marketing tripe, nothing more. Particularly now given that the official J300 grading system contains SAE 8 and 12.

sae-j300-engine-viscosity-table.jpg

So, for example:
The Maxima "RS" "0w10" has a 100C visc of 5.2cSt, making it a 0w-12 assuming it actually meets the 0W-xx designation, which I assume it does.
The Maxima "Extra" "0w10" has a 100C visc of 4.7cSt, making it a 0w-8 "" ""
The Redline Racing "0w10" has a 100C visc of 5.2cSt, making it a 0w-12 "" ""
The Joe Gibbs XP10 "0w10" has a 100C visc of 4.5cSt, making it a 0w-8 "" ""
The Lucas Racing "0w10" has a 100C visc of 5.0cSt, making it a 0w-12 "" ""

Before the new grades were added to J300 these would have all been officially just really thin 0w-20's
wink.gif

Now this is a decent conversation.
Why would they claim 0w10 on the bottle and then in the sales literature state straight 10 weight?
It boggles the mind and confuses the consumer.

Why would they claim 0w10 on the bottle and then in the sales literature state straight 10 weight?

Marketing I'd wager.

Because, like Redline, it is sold to two crowds. Those that want thin multi's and those that want a straight grade synthetic for a specific engine build (usually racing).

Pro-Stocks are now running 10 grades for a HP gain of about 8~12 on the big end of the track. That may be enough to pull you around a competitor running 10W-30 or 40...

The resultant engine carnage was extreme in the early days, but has come down as they have learned to deal with the thinner lube ... As machining practices get better, tighter, and more consistent, crank finishes get better, etc.; it's all coming together.

Still not really applicable to street cars as they are running crankcase vacuum systems and many have gone full dry sump, neither of which apply on the street ...

It's not a real grade.

Or otherwise known as 'qualifying oils' (or like Broc Luno states above, for the non methanol/alcohol fueled drag racing classes, where they rebuild the engine after every, or every few passes anyway).
wink.gif

Yes, the ZDDP level in this Maxima line up might even be greater than that in the MPT 30K oils and Red Line combined, and THAT is what makes them "NOT for street use" just as much as either lowered, or completely non-existent detergent/dispersant additive packs.

I can see this now becoming a race among the thin oil crowd to be the first to claim"I put this in my new car and it is sooo smooooth".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back