Next Odyssey oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
2014 Odyssey, 31.5k miles. Wife's daily driver, so sees mostly in town use, but we're always going places in the summer, so it sees much more mixed use.

Last June changed to a FU and valvoline syn power 0w-20. In November I changed just the oil with the same.

So now it's due for an oil and filter change.

I use the same oil for the change when aI don't change the filter.

What oil?

I'm a Pennzoil guy, and I've used PP Euro 0W40 in my Odyssey for 2 OCI now. It's impressively smooth and quiet, and it gives me a warm fuzzy knowing it's an ACEA rated oil that likely offers more protection in the hot summers when loaded down with grandkids and the AC churning in the 90*/90% humidity Indiana summers.

My first UOA on PPE 0w40 at 7500 miles showed sub-normal wear numbers with a TBN still at 6.0. I ran it 13.5k but still have that UOA to do. I filled up a whole shelf with the 0W40 at clearance prices.

I believe SynPower is on rollback at WM for $21 and change. So may want to stick with that. Only reason I would switch away from SynPower would be if there's a good deal out there you want to take advantage of. Plus I'd keep the Accord on the same oil as the van for simplicity sake. Only other one you may want to consider is the new TGMO 0w20 formulation that now contains a healthy dose of moly.

Keep going with what you have. It may be interesting to switch oils around but I believe there's merit (however small) in sticking with one oil so the additives are replenished rather than always being transitioned back and forth.

M1 0W20 AFE as 2016_PSD has had great success with it in his 10' FX4 F150
smile.gif

I just picked up a jug of SuperTech 0w20 for the Pilot. People are always talking about ST around here so I thought I'd finally try it.

When at or under $18 a jug I use Castrol Magnatec in everything.I use
all grades. New rides get the 0W of 5W 20.I
Picked up tons of it from Jet for $13. using the new customer discount

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I believe SynPower is on rollback at WM for $21 and change. So may want to stick with that. Only reason I would switch away from SynPower would be if there's a good deal out there you want to take advantage of. Plus I'd keep the Accord on the same oil as the van for simplicity sake. Only other one you may want to consider is the new TGMO 0w20 formulation that now contains a healthy dose of moly.

I searched online and it seems that Valvoline has the $10 rebate like Pennzoil.

Reason I'd shy from Valvoline is that my car is 2012 or newer, so I'd be better suited to use their "modern" oil which is like $40 or so at Walmart, IIRC; and, PP 0w-20 should be SN plus and similar quality to the 2012+ Valvoline for less money, no?

I ran PP the prior two oil change intervals.

Started the van off on M1EP 0w-20 like the accord. But since the OLM pushes changes every 5-6k, I figure I'm better off leaving the filter on, changing with the same oil, and buying what's cheaper, like PP and Valvoline.

I don't particularly care what brand, so long as it is a reputable brand.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The new Valvoline Advanced Synthetic has moly, boron and titanium in healthy amounts.

Asvanced synthetic or modern engine? The modern engine oil is precisely why I'm asking the question.

It's a good deal more $$ than the standard synthetic. Since I have a 2012, it would be better suited to use that stuff. But It's NOACK is either generic or higher than the regular syn.

And it seems to me that Pennzoil may be similarly suited as the Modern Engine Synthetic, but a better price point. Maybe I'm wrong with that though.

If the Valvoline is truly something special, I don't have an issue running it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The new Valvoline Advanced Synthetic has moly, boron and titanium in healthy amounts.

Asvanced synthetic or modern engine? The modern engine oil is precisely why I'm asking the question.

It's a good deal more $$ than the standard synthetic. Since I have a 2012, it would be better suited to use that stuff. But It's NOACK is either generic or higher than the regular syn.

And it seems to me that Pennzoil may be similarly suited as the Modern Engine Synthetic, but a better price point. Maybe I'm wrong with that though.

https://www.valvoline.com/

The oil I mentioned is Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. Valvoline Modern Engine is their newer oil. It has a totally different formula.
VAS is $21.97 at Wally’s.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

https://www.valvoline.com/

The oil I mentioned is Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. Valvoline Modern Engine is their newer oil. It has a totally different formula.
VAS is $21.97 at Wally’s.

Thanks. I was calling modern engine "advanced" for a while by accident, thus my interest in clarifying.

So, why not modern engine since I have a 2012 or newer GDI engine??

That would work. The cost is a issue for some. $22 for VAS vs $39 for VME 5qt jugs. Valvoline’s marketing is not very good in describing the attributes of VME other than saying it’s made for modern engines.

I’m sure it’s a good oil but for owners who change every 5k or 7.5k it does affect the budget. I went with VAS for my car which will get annual changes. I may go with VME next fall especially if the price drops. I think it’s a $30 oil. Just my personal opinion

I just confirmed that vas is sn plus.

So VME is more money for poorer noack and unclear benefit.

I want to like VME but it's not clear what it's benefits are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back