1986 Starcraft CSS 181B Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently found one of these tucked away indoors. Original owner, needs a good cleaning but looks to be in very good shape. Passed the solid floor and transom test. I looked in the ski locker and the floor is solid in there as well. I don't think it was used very much, and always kept indoors and dry. It has the original snap-on mooring cover that's in great shape. I think there's a bimini for it too.

It has a Mercruiser 140 and Alpha One drive. I don't think the boat has been ran in the last 5 years. The trailer looks OK from what I can tell. The tires are dryrotted and are original from what I can tell by talking to the owner.

Anyone familiar with these? I'm having a hard time finding owners manuals or really anything about these boats. On the inside there's a plaque that says "Designed by Art Carlson CSS Contemporary Sport Series."

I'll get some pictures when the weather warms up.

It looks just like the top boat in this picture, except the hull is pink? or faded red/maroon, along with the interior (red and pink, red carpet)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Be willing to bet you will need batteries, a carb rebuild, and you might have to deal with 50 gallons of rotten gas. Beside's the usual oil filter and out drive service. Boats floors with carpeting are prone to rotting out, being the wood never gets air dried enough. And carpeting might be alot harder to clean if used for fishing. Might be fun for water sking tho. Compounding the hull should bring it back to life. Trailer wheels, or just the tires are pretty cheap. A weekend or two of a little elbow grease will get er done.,,,

Last edited:
First without spending a ton of money you need to get an idea if the block is cracked. See what is in the block, antifreeze would be good. Look at the freeze plugs.

Get the carb rebuilt (Tredwell Carb in in NY). Change the oil & rotor, dist cap, plugs and start it up and check again for block damage from freezing.

Get the 3 bellows replaced along with lower shift cable. Change the water pump impeller in the outdrive. Maybe replace the trim sensor and trim limit switch while the outdrive is off to replace the bellows. Pull the prop and have it repaired if it's damaged. Grease prop shaft. Grease zerks.

Hold off on the trailer tires as long as they hold air until the engine and out drive are checked out.

Drain the gas, add a gallon of alcohol let it sit for a few days, flush with a gallon of gas. Buy a few gas filters and keep a spare in boat. There maybe a 2nd gas filter at the carb.

I think that engine has an odd ball alternator.

You are close to $1000 for outdrive maintenance. I would get someone to do the bellows. If they fail, boat sinks.

If things look good, move on to trailer. Maybe LED lights. Check bearings. Replace the tires.

Last edited:
I know it was winterized before stoage, the bellows were also done (5 years ago though). Not sure what the deal is with the gas but it's likely bad even if it was treated before storage.

I was going to just run it (assuming it starts) and then change the fluids after. I'll try to get some pics because it is in much better shape than most would like to believe, especially for an 86. The main thing is the fact that it's been sitting for so long.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I know it was winterized before stoage, the bellows were also done (5 years ago though). Not sure what the deal is with the gas but it's likely bad even if it was treated before storage.

I was going to just run it (assuming it starts) and then change the fluids after. I'll try to get some pics because it is in much better shape than most would like to believe, especially for an 86. The main thing is the fact that it's been sitting for so long.

Was the boat stored with outdrive up or down. Bellows get replaced by age, between 5 and 7 years.

The outdrive should be pulled and u-joints greased. Water pump impeller should be replaced. Outdrive gear oil changed.

Even if things look good, assume prev maint was not done correctly.

If you are new to boating, remember there are USCG required items to be on board. Suggest a fixed or handheld VHF radio. Cell phone does not replace a VHF radio.

Originally Posted By: Donald
if i spent that much in maintenace itd have a new engine and outdrive...

Anything to do with boats is expensive.

Expensive is a relative term. I know people who have 16' aluminum boats who spend $ 50 in maintenance and buy 5 gallons of gas a year to fish all season long. There are also 26' cabin cruisers that cost $ 300 a day in fuel alone to go from one end of the lake to another. It all depends on the boat.

There's no way it is going to cost $ 1,000 to do bellows and change drive oil, even if you pay someone to do that. A bellow kit is $ 120 and a few quarts of quicksilver are $ 20.

boats are fun. period. I've owned multiple. I currently have two: 1988 Bayliner that I bought new; and the 2005 Starcraft. The Bayliner has been great - I do all that maintenance myself - although it is an outboard.
Starcraft is a fun company - I met a few of their people when I worked in the industry.
Donald has given some pretty good advice; I had some bellows leak a little (11 year old boat, not the Starcraft); had a fuel pump fail (stupid internally-painted Volvo two stage pump). other than that my maintenance costs have not been bad.

Some time with a GOOD buffer should clean up the color on the gelcoat. ( I had to use a body shop quality dewalt with rubbing compound)

Keep in mind this will be a project more than anything else. I also live 5 miles from a state launch.

I'll probably get one of those trolling motors that mount to the outdrive to use for fishing, and as a backup in case the 3.0 decides not to run.

Originally Posted By: Donald
if i spent that much in maintenace itd have a new engine and outdrive...

Anything to do with boats is expensive.

Expensive is a relative term. I know people who have 16' aluminum boats who spend $ 50 in maintenance and buy 5 gallons of gas a year to fish all season long. There are also 26' cabin cruisers that cost $ 300 a day in fuel alone to go from one end of the lake to another. It all depends on the boat.

There's no way it is going to cost $ 1,000 to do bellows and change drive oil, even if you pay someone to do that. A bellow kit is $ 120 and a few quarts of quicksilver are $ 20.

I think getting all the normal outdrive maintenance done I have suggested will be $800 to $1000. All three bellows should be replaced along with lower shift cable, water pump impeller. Most of it is labor. Then optional is gimbal bearing if loose, u-joints if not in good shape, and trim sensor and tilt/trim switch if either does not work (sold in pairs). If there is any water in outdrive gear oil then it should be vacuum tested, maybe seal replaced. The trim cylinders can also corrode stuck. Trim motor can fail needing a rebuild.

If the boat was stored with the outdrive tilted up then definitely new bellows.

4 cylinder inboard motors with outdrives are known for blowing up the motor. They are generally already bored out to the maximum when new and any abuse such as over-revving or trying to tow too big a load can cause them to blow. Change the oil, gearbox fluid, and outdrive fluid before using it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
4 cylinder inboard motors with outdrives are known for blowing up the motor. They are generally already bored out to the maximum when new and any abuse such as over-revving or trying to tow too big a load can cause them to blow. Change the oil, gearbox fluid, and outdrive fluid before using it.

Most blown motors with the 3.0 are from owner neglect (not winterizing properly, not checking fluids, etc.)

I'm likely going to put fresh gas in it, run it once, and then change all fluids after getting them hot. If the bellows leak then I'll do those too. Since the hull is solid even if I repower the entire thing I'll still come out ahead on a newer model. I grew up around boats and have the mechanical skills to do my own maintenance. I also know a few mobile mechanics who can do things for a good price if need be.

I like the idea of a trailer boat because you're not at the mercy of the marina for everything. That's when things start to get expensive.

^ I would agree. The 3.0L is a good, long lasting boat engine. I've never seen a well maintained one blow up.

FWIW, my brother is rehabing a similar boat, except it's a ~1990. 3.0L runs like new, but he is currently cutting out and replacing the floor and stringers due to it not being stored properly. He's got the engine out to replace the gimbal bearing too. It had a good 20g of green goo in the fuel tank when he got it that he had to pump and clean out. He knew all of this going into it and got the boat for $500. Super nice trailer too. Totally usable as-is, he had it out at the 1000 islands for a week, but really wanted to address the soft spots in the floor.

Like said, that's the problem with carpeted floors in boats. Once you dig in to them, even areas that still feel good underfoot could still be shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
^ I would agree. The 3.0L is a good, long lasting boat engine. I've never seen a well maintained one blow up.

FWIW, my brother is rehabing a similar boat, except it's a ~1990. 3.0L runs like new, but he is currently cutting out and replacing the floor and stringers due to it not being stored properly. He's got the engine out to replace the gimbal bearing too. It had a good 20g of green goo in the fuel tank when he got it that he had to pump and clean out. He knew all of this going into it and got the boat for $500. Super nice trailer too. Totally usable as-is, he had it out at the 1000 islands for a week, but really wanted to address the soft spots in the floor.

Like said, that's the problem with carpeted floors in boats. Once you dig in to them, even areas that still feel good underfoot could still be shot.

Sounds like a fun project!

You'd be amazed at how many boats on the lake are left out without the covers on. I pass an older Bayliner bowrider every morning that's moored about 100 feet out with nothing but a bimini top, rain or shine. I can only imagine how rotted that thing must be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back