Police Training Films on Amazon Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a very interesting police training film on Amazon Prime this morning.
The first training film was filmed in Pasadena, California in the late 70's and trains cops when and when not to use a shotgun.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/143-9835106-7870938?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=police+training+films

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Ive watched that before. Its a shame that the cops got such terrible training back then.

Then? You think its got a lot better since? Maybe in larger cities but smaller towns I doubt even get that much today.

Smaller towns don't usually have wacky criminals, making advanced training not always applicable.

Virtually no police are trained as well as the public thinks they are. Most people think cop and SEAL are about the same.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I watched a very interesting police training film on Amazon Prime this morning.
The first training film was filmed in Pasadena, California in the late 70's and trains cops when and when not to use a shotgun.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/143-9835106-7870938?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=police+training+films

Based on your Title, I thought the police were being trained on used how to use Amazon Prime. lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Ive watched that before. Its a shame that the cops got such terrible training back then.

Then? You think its got a lot better since? Maybe in larger cities but smaller towns I doubt even get that much today.

Well, as a former cop that has worked at three different agencies, I can say with authority that a cop today gets MUCH better training than any cop did in 1970. Its not even comparable. The gun training and building clearing has been improved exponentially. The medical training is much better. Almost all facets of training has been improved, big time.

When I started the old timers told me their field training consisted of the Sgt handing them a set of car keys and telling them, "go get em tiger." They had to figure stuff out on their own.

I will agree on a whole that the caliber of cop back then was probably a lot better, and more willing to get the job done than some of the namby pamby nonsense we see nowadays .

I'm a former cop. I graduated the NJSP Academy about 12-15 years after the film in the OP was made. The training I received was way better and that was in the 80s.It's improved subtstantially since then in every area, academics, law, first aid, firearms. Also, academic requirements have been raised overall. Many outfits require a college degree or at least an Associates degree. There are police certification boards everywhere.
On the other hand, hiring standards and physical standards have been downgraded and I would say that there are not the same proportion of guys leaving the military and going straight into law enforcement as there was back then.
But real events snd situations have been studied and the lessons learned applied in training. Experienced tactical guys have become instructors or helped to develop training in various blocks of instruction. Technology has driven training as well...on many levels for good and not so good reasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toros
.....On the other hand, hiring standards and physical standards have been downgraded and I would say that there are not the same proportion of guys leaving the military and going straight into law enforcement as there was back then.

This is largely due to women becoming "mainstream" in today's law enforcement. It's much the same in fire departments. I think this is a large mistake based on the reduced physical capacities and abilities of women in general. They will never be able to be "trained" to be as physically strong and able as a man. That is not a "sexist" point of view. But a physiological one. And it won't change anything by calling people "sexist" who point it out.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Toros
.....On the other hand, hiring standards and physical standards have been downgraded and I would say that there are not the same proportion of guys leaving the military and going straight into law enforcement as there was back then.

This is largely due to women becoming "mainstream" in today's law enforcement. It's much the same in fire departments. I think this is a large mistake based on the reduced physical capacities and abilities of women in general. They will never be able to be "trained" to be as physically strong and able as a man. That is not a "sexist" point of view. But a physiological one. And it won't change anything by calling people "sexist" who point it out.

Agreed. That's not to say they aren't capable. Just that it's simply a fact, men inherently have greater upper body strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back